Existing Member?

Vicariously Not.

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [120] | Scholarship Entry

I broke the surface gasping for much needed oxygen. How long was I under? Well, perhaps not long enough to even catch a glimpse of the seemingly elusive creature. It dove down deep and totally disappeared. I guess I'd really have to jump in again.

It was around 33 degrees on a very hot April morning and the Donsol tourist office in Sorsogon was filled to the doors with locals and foreigners alike. My cousin and I had just finished paying the fees and were working our way towards our waiting boatmates. Our bangka was anchored in the already-congested shore and we were all eager to set out as soon as possible and get ahead of the competition. So with everyone aboard, we finally moved out to go after some whalesharks!

Our guide, kuya Henry briefed us on the dos and don'ts for the day while heading farther from shore. We'd have to be ready at all times with our rented snorkels - that is if they're working, and fins on and position ourselves from whichever side of the boat we're supposed to jump in from and await the signal from the spotter. And with the signal having been given, off we went with me hitting the water last. The thought of drowning briefly crossed my mind. The waves were actually bigger when you're down there! And being the amateur swimmer that I was (and still am), I was naturally the very last to reach the x spot where the shark was supposed to be. Hah. And since it got shy I'd have to do everything all over again. Until the third try. Whoa. 12 feet. Female. And magnificent. Her huge head was right beneath me. I was so dumbfounded I almost forgot to surface for air. And when I got back, I was only able to see her tail waving goodbye.

I was exhausted. And breathless. It was something I never thought I'd do. Jump off a boat into 15 ft-deep open sea water. And without any life vest or floaters on! My mom would've killed me if she knew then. But she didn't. Besides, it was all worth it. And I wouldn't have known what I would've been missing. Until now.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About ciaraysabel


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.