Existing Member?

Ciaran and Ruth's Worldwide Adventures

WOW to Windy Welly

NEW ZEALAND | Saturday, 11 August 2007 | Views [630]

Nelson is the largest urban centre on the north coast of New Zealand's South Island, and as such serves as a meeting point for everyone within a 30 mile radius - particularly at the weekend when the Nelson Market takes over Montgomery Square. Unfortunately, this means that it's practically impossible to find parking in this city - about the size of Kilkenny - so we can't tell you anything about the city or market. However, on the outskirts of the city - close to their small airport - there's an interesting, if unusual, museum. WOW - the World of Wearable Art - is a museum whose exhibits are made up of pieces entered into one of the annual competitions for artists and clothes designers that has taken place in Nelson since 1987. To be seen within the walls of this museum are articles as unusual as glow in the dark body suits (presumably for Fridays in the local dishgo) and (with little apparent concern for the wearer) a bra made from a beehive. Ouch.

As a strange twist, the museum shares its building with a second museum which houses a collection of vintage cars. Among the Buicks, Chevys, Mercedes and MGs is Del Boy and Rodney's 3-wheel van - pictured above. A pretty broad collection then. And also the last thing we were to experience on the South Island, as we hit the choppy seas and found our way back to the capital city - Windy Welly as the inhabitants accurately call it.

Tags: Sightseeing

 

About ciaranandruth


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.