Existing Member?

The tales of a traveler

Celebrating SongKran in Thailand

THAILAND | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [307]

Somehow, when this specific time of the year comes, the whole of Thailand transforms into a giant water fight between, kids, teens and grownups. No point in holding back your inner child when SongKran comes around!

We all bought water guns, preparing for the first fight on the Friday. It was no point in dressing up for going out that day, we were going to fight and wearing bikinis. The Party Street in Phuket is called Bangla Road, and that was our main target. Or at least all the people walking outside close to this area.

Me and my two Aussie roommates Chanelle and Chelsea were preparing for fight, but there was no way we could have been ready for this. We didn`t even have to go two meters outside of our apartment before people started shooting at us. And with three people on one scooter (that was usually how we did it since I was the only one with a scooter), we were soaking wet before we reached the party street.

It was the craziest night I have ever witnessed or been a part of, people everywhere shooting at each other with 3-4 water guns per person, drunk and wet people everywhere and Thai people throwing white painting at everybody that they could reach. Apparently painting someone with white painting on their forehead or face, is a way of blessing the year and their future in Thailand. So of course we ended up being completely soaked, drunk and full of painting that evening. How we got home is a mystery, but I woke up next to way to much McDonalds take-away!

Anyway, just wanted to share the story and some following pictures of that night!

Tags: phuket, songkran, thailand, waterfight

 

About christinedrage


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.