Existing Member?

Tales of Tanzania!

How many Maasai men does it take to fix a flat tyre?

TANZANIA | Monday, 3 May 2010 | Views [333]

So our car has broken down on the way to Moshi and we have nothing else to do – dunno how long it will take to fix a car in Africa as they don’t seem to have much of a clue! On our way back from Serengeti, the car broke down as well so we had to push our gigantic four wheel drive UPHILL for about 400m to get it to start. Got it on the 6th try but not until some African men stopped to help – they’re strong these Africans. At least we provided amusement for the onlookers at the side of the road – must admit, must have been pretty hilarious seeing a bunch of mzungu (white) girls failing miserably at pushing a car. Ach well, it was an experience. We also had 2 flat tyres during the same trip and had to get some Maasai men to help – now not many people could say that had happened to them.

 

Serengeti was AMAZING – we saw all of the big 5. Most impressive was seeing a lioness about 1m away from as just chilling beside  the road. When she turned to look at us I swear she was going to jump into the car – obviously she didn’t because I’m still here. Also so a male and female lion mating twice – was absolutely hilarious…I’ll leave the sound effects to your own imaginations. Apparently, Vincent our guide said at this time of year they mate every half hour for 14 days.....pretty tiring I should think! Vincent was realllllly funny and told us some interesting (and very different) facts. Like hippos and elephants have their balls inside of them and male zebras can have 5 legs at time (think you can guess)!

 

We also got to see a proper African sunrise which was pretty magical as well as seeing the clear skies at night with the millions of stars. You could actually see the moon rising in the sky and it was so big and bright that it was light outside – realllly weird. The landscape was amazing too and in the middle of the plains it just went on forever and ever – the Serengeti is the size of England so pretty mahoosive.  Also, the wildebeest migration is currently in the centre of the Serengeti so we got to see that. There were millions and millions (no joke) as far as the eye could see,  so much so that it was basically black and you couldn’t see the ground.

 

Our campsite at Ngorongoro Crater was on the rim so you could see right into the crater below from our tent. It was indescribable and my photos just don’t do it justice. An elephant came into our campsite too and some stupid German people (I think) decided to go up really close - their guide had to get them to come away because it might have charged at them. I had my camera out ready to video it trampling them as well – would have been a good one (though not so good for them). In the crater it was reaaallly wet and cold and windy. I felt quite at home actually because the flowers looked  a bit like Heather and the weather was very appropriate – it could have been Scotland if I hadn’t know. Though the elephants and rhinos and all the other animals might look a bit out of place at home I guess. We actually brought our sleeping bags with us in the safari van so we could keep warm -  we must have looked ridiculous standing in our sleeping bags looking like caterpillars…at  least  we were warm!

 

Oh I forgot in my last blog entry – when we came back from the New Outlook centre the other week we saw a man attacking another guy in his car in the centre of the road. He opened the car door with a crow bar and then started whacking the other guy’s head against the door, much to the amusement of the people in the street. They were all laughing but we were quite alarmed…wish I had videoed it though I’m not sure Mum and Dad would appreciate seeing that. I know you’re worried about me anyway Mum but it doesn’t happen all the time!

 

Also, another thing not for you to read Mum, last night when we got back from a meal out we got on a really full daladala and had to stand on the step next to the door (the door was open naturally).  We were actually hanging out the side and all the Africans inside found it hilarious…as did we.

 

Gotta go now so I guess the next time I’ll be on will be after Kili. We start the climb on Wednesday – all seems a bit unreal. Wish me luck!

 

Kwaheri xxxx

About christine_mckenna

My MAHOOSIVE bag! I will actually keel over with that thing on my back :S

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.