Existing Member?

Traveltales

End of Week 1

GUATEMALA | Sunday, 18 May 2008 | Views [273]

!Hola mis Amigos! Como esten?

Since Ive been asked, I thought Id give you an update. 

I landed last Sat with no real dramas, except the chick in Cayman wasnt going to let me on the plane.  Luckily I convinced her that it was ok and off I went.  After a small delay in Miami (I know, I couldnt believe it either) I landed in Guatemala City.  Straight out onto a shuttle to Antigua.  I spent the night there before heading up to Lago de Atitlan. 

Th shuttle came to San Pedro La Laguna on a path that I wouldnt nessicarily call a road.  Got off in the middle of town with the not so easy task of hunting down my school.  I asked a few people who didnt seem to know then I played sherades with a local guy who acted out walking on the road, then held his nose and pointed to the right.  So off I started walking.  I was a little skeptical if I had taken them in correctly when I was overpowered by a terrible smell and as my head convulsed to the right, low and behold there was a sign for my school.  I twisted and turned my way through a maze of paths and alleys and found it just before it closed.  Phew!

It turns out my house is exactly 12 steps from school, and our roof is the floor of the school, nothing like convience.  I have a pretty big room, but not much to do in it.  I have a great view of the lake though which has been keeping me very busy, hey someone needs to watch it and make sure it doesnt go anywhere.  Andrea and Lorenzo, my parents, have 3 kids, Fransisco, 9, Elena, 6, and Lorenzo, 2.  He is the cutest thing and when he is not laughing he is talking to you with these huge brown eyes.  He has taken a liking to me and will knock on my door with an hola chica.  Hard to refuse!  This morning I was playing soccer with him with a christmas ornament.  We eat our meals (there is another student staying there as well) with them except on Sunday.  School is pretty cool...little thatch cabana things set up in a garden.  I have a view of the volcano or the lake depending on which one we get that day.  I have 4 hrs of classes in the morning.  I learned my numbers the first day and after that I have been learning verbs and that I have ADD.  You think I would have noticed sooner...I spend 2 minutes reading my papers, then 20 staring out the window, then 4 mins then 30 laying on the bed.  Im not taking in much and not practising cause I can get by.  I know, I know.

Yesterday I climbed a mountain on the other side of town.  Took lots of pics but it has been really hazy here and they havent really turned out.  We are waiting on rain which is apparently really late this year.  The climb was nice just the same and then we went into a neighboring town to the market, then just hoped a couple of collectivos (pickup trucks that they fill the back of and go whenever they are full) to get back.  I even had my first beer of the trip afterwards. I was all like no no, I have to study but when a 67 year old woman wants to buy you a beer, what can you do? 

Other than that, not really much to say.  I have been keeping to myself cause this funky little town would be the ruin of my Spanish if I didnt keep a close rein on things, so I havent been out. I havent taken any pics cause I am waiting for the haze to piss off.

Anyway hope everyone is doing good. 

Adios

Chris

Jay unfortunately they didnt have basket weaving this week.  Im crossing my fingers for next week though.

About christachevs


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.