Existing Member?

all_my_friends_think_that_im_gone I'm in Amsterdam and this is what is goin on...

First 3 Months

NETHERLANDS | Thursday, 24 January 2008 | Views [425] | Comments [6]

 So ive been here almost 3 months and i havent written in my blog at all. so i have to catch you all up on what has gone on in my life over here and try to make it sound interesting. ive been really lazy about journalling but hopefully that will change now. for those of you that actually care that im gone, thanks for reading this...

 Its been a strange but good 3 months. ive had some really hard times and enjoyed some really good times. its hard to believe that im here, that im in europe and doing this thing. i ride my bike home really early in the mornings by myself some nights thinking, man, im in europe. i cant get over it. at first i couldnt figure out what was so different about this place. ive had the biggest culture shock of my life. i felt more at home in india than i do here, thats crazy to me. i think its because the people here are not as friendly as midwesterners. its a fairly big city with so many people of different cultures, its the most international city in the world. people walk or bike past you without even acknowledging your existence. sometimes they even walk right into you without apologizing. and if you need to borrow ,30 to use the bathroom at mcdonalds because your wallet got stolen and you have no money, they will not help you. hospitality is not one of their strong points, im not sure they even have a word for it here.

 As difficult as it has been to acclimate myself to this culture, ive experienced some pretty cool things. new years for example was amazing! over 50,000 people celebrating in dam square complete with a fireworks war and plenty of drugs and alcohol to go around. people really celebrate here, and i wonder what they have to be so happy about? yeah, its a new year and that means a rebirth and newness of life. but for all those who dont know Jesus what do they have to look forward to? getting drunk and stoned and what else? i guess thats true anywhere in the world, but especially here in a culture that goes beyond any kind of celebrating ive ever seen. if more of these people knew Jesus imagine what kind of celebrating would happen then? just a random thought...

 I love the people i live with, but living in a house with 30 people in a situation where people are almost always coming and going is sometimes difficult. cultural sensitivity is not really practiced or thought of too much. i was suprised at the amount of american staff members here. i thought i would be the only one or one of few. right now there are 6 americans and i believe 3 more are coming soon. there are a few germans, dutchies of course, a south korean girl, a belgian guy, and thats pretty much it. there are more people coming very soon because our sister shelter, the jordan, is reopeneing after 3 months of renovation in february. so there will be over 30 people living in this house. i dont know what to tink about that yet. im excited to meet new people but at the same time the whole dynamic of this community is about to change. im praying for patience :)

 I dont know what else to write about now. there are so many stories and things i could share with you but im very tired right now and my mind isnt working so well. i will update this from time to time and try to get better at keeping in touch. thats what our class was about yesterday. lets see what happens...:)

 

Tags: Beaches & sunshine

 

Comments

1

You should post some photos soon!<br>Hope all is well. God bless!<br>

  dave nelson Jan 25, 2008 2:02 AM

2

umm...<br>three months feels like three years.<br>and i miss you.<br>and your face...<br><br>so i agree with dave nelson.<br>please post some pictures.<br>much love dear soul.<br><br><3 bails

  Bailey Beauchamp Jan 25, 2008 2:32 AM

3

I Care That You Are Gone!!!!!

  BJ Keen Jan 25, 2008 2:52 AM

4

i can't wait to hear more. <br>there was a lady that ate at my lepeep today and she reminded me of your mom and so i then thought about you.<br>i miss you beautiful girl.

  samara Jan 25, 2008 8:03 AM

5

i love reading what you've got here,sis.<br>we all miss you so very much.<br>later.

  Cindy Jan 27, 2008 5:56 PM

6

roles have reversed ...i am in the fiery depths of camp pom de terre...please come and get me......i cannot hold on for "one more day".....i miss you and your dad does too.. God bless and keep you mom

  phyllis lopez Mar 10, 2008 12:22 PM

About chrissyjoy


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Netherlands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.