Existing Member?

24 Is The Year

Catching a Moment - Wanderlust as a Graduate Student

WORLDWIDE | Wednesday, 6 March 2013 | Views [175] | Scholarship Entry

I am sitting in my local airport which has a total of three gates, and none of that multiple terminal business. I got here 2 hours early for a security check that takes 10 minutes; not for lack of thoroughness but for lack of people. I am considering the series of events and choices that have led me here; to my first solo traveling abroad trip.

It started basic; I love travel, I could afford this trip with months of planning and some supplementary credit card assistance. I wanted to plan something early for break because if I didn't I would go on a school service trip. These trips go across the country performing service in different communities...to clarify I'm not opposed to service, paying it forward, or students who are leaders. In fact, I have devoted the last 4 years of my life to all of the above and this trip became my nonrefundable promise to let the very capable next generation of students have their turn.

It became more complicated in the last week, and of course by complicated I mean terrifying. Understandably I have some nerves about my first individual overseas trip but as I explain to my colleagues and peers that I'm going overseas alone I've grown accustom to three responses. 'YOU'RE GONNA DIE' not my favorite, 'oh' a neutral word, dripping of judgement and confusion, and the third ,'I am so envious'. I appreciate the last one because it's the kindest, and the only one I anticipated.

Maybe they're right; it's weird, I shouldn't have this experience while in my Master's program, apparently it's strange to do it alone and while statistically unlikely, I could die.

Then they begin calling for my flight to board. From my local airport the only planes we have are the precious tinker planes with three rows, no space, and provides a bumpy ride on the smoothest days. As I stand up about to start my journey my stomach flips and all the comments fall aside; I know I'm starting something amazing.

The reality is they are right.

It is weird that I'm a 24 year old woman traveling alone because I want to.
It is odd that I am allocating funds to travel while in the expensive and timely pursuit of my Masters.
Technically, I could die, but again unlikely.

The mistake they've been making is labeling these as reasons why I shouldn't instead of what it really is; wanderlust as a graduate student. While gathering my things I realize travel is about defining life for yourself, by your own terms.

This is weird, but, by my definition, it's also right.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About chrissy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.