Existing Member?

A day in the life of Songkran

Elephant World

THAILAND | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [336] | Scholarship Entry

What’s the best way for someone who has a fear of water to spend a day in Thailand? Swimming with Elephants is not the natural answer but it seems it is the perfect way for anyone to spend a day. Set two hours west of Bangkok in the province of Kanchanaburi, Elephant World removes the necessity to travel hours up north to experience such animal friendly days. Elephant World is set apart: rather than just an Elephant camp they rescue elephants from poor conditions within the tourist industry, and campaign to keep them in the safe conditions. You can be assured the money you pay goes towards helping the elephants and their individual Mahout (carers) live their lives in a free and comfortable environment. For just 2,000 bahts you get a taxi ride, lunch, and activities all included. But the day is not about sitting back and watching the Elephants; you are expected to get involved as every other volunteer and worker. From collecting the fresh produce grown in the grounds, to feeding the young elephants, and cooking food for the older elephants your day is crammed full. For the brave among the volunteers, after creating balls of sticky rice you get to feed the older, toothless elephants directly into their mouths, giving you the opportunity to study their beautiful skin up close and examine the strange, unexpected hairs which protrude. Their mouths are surprisingly dry and it feels like putting your hand inside a puppet. Here the grace and elegance of the animals radiates at every opportunity and seeing the roam freely around the grounds can’t help but bring a smile to your face. The finale is swimming with the elephants in the lake. Even I, someone who fears water which reaches any further than my waist, could not turn down the opportunity to spend half an hour in the water with the playful animals. Avoiding the naughty elephants, I chose the older elephant Songkran who was much better behaved. Her skin, surprisingly spiky, was counteracted by her leathery wrinkles and the cold water was enjoyed by animal and human alike as a relief from the hot sun. For a short time you realise you are in their home, and they are welcoming you. Whether you visit for a day with your friends, or decide on a longer stay with some of the many volunteers from various countries around the world, Elephant World is a unique and unforgettable experience spending a day in the life of an Elephant; and you’ll get a great new profile too!

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About chrissiepilk


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.