Existing Member?

Chris' Travels We are traveling around the Southern Hemisphere!

Cambodia - Siem Reap

CAMBODIA | Monday, 12 January 2009 | Views [682]

Hello!

Right we're in Cambodia now and the border crossing was surprisingly smooth considering what we'd heard! We avoided the Khoa San Road buses and got ourselves a government coach up to Aranyaprathet and spent the night there, quickly realising how cheap the place was compared to Bangkok and Koh Phangan!

The next day we crossed over the border and other than the Cambodian visa office refusing to accept our visa applications unless we paid extra for a 'helper' (in fairness it wasn't that much more than the visa should have been without his help). We then ran the gauntlet of Casino's and entered Cambodia, bumping into a couple of other travellers who we ended up sharing a cab with down to Siem Reap.

Once there (and having managed to escape the attempts by our Tuc Tuc to take us to other hotels) we managed to check-in to the Dead Fish Guesthouse (http://www.deadfishtower.com), connected to the famous Dead Fish Tower restaurant, a converted crocodile farm (which still has some of the crocodiles!) and set out to explore Siem Reap.

It's amazing how many people we've bumped into on just the first 24 hours here, first we bumped into the two girls who sat in front of us on the bus back from Koh Phangan, then the two guys I was drinking with at a VW bar in Bangkok, two people who had been staying in the same bungalows as us in Koh Phangan and finally the next morning two people we'd shared the taxi from the border with, it seems South East Asia is much smaller that I'd thought :)

We've spent the last couple of days wandering round the Angkor temples and we've got a final day of that tomorrow, so when I get to a computer that's got a decent connection and can actually cope with it, I'll upload some of the huge number of photo's I’ve taken. So far in two days I’ve managed to use up my camera battery three times, and fill up one of my memory card! I reckon it's got about 1200+ photos on it, which isn't bad for a little under 2 months!

Right well tomorrow is our last day at the Angkor complex, so on Tuesday we'll be heading down to Phnom Penh and hopefully sorting out our visa's for Vietnam!

And now we've off to Angkor What? (http://www.ivebeenthere.co.uk/tips/4062) for a beer or two!

Cheers
 
Chris

Tags: angkor wat, border, cambodia, siem reap

 

About chrismoon


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.