Existing Member?

Doing it NOW Chris and Yogi out seeing the best bits of the world while they still can....Doing it NOW

more family times.....

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 2 July 2010 | Views [398]

Today we had to catch up on the usual washing etc.. so we had an easy few days planned, some jobs and a family visit or two. We visited my Auntie Margaret, on my dads side of the family, and spent a few hours with her and her daughter one of my cousins Denise, it seemed very strange when we first got there as the pictures you have in your head of family that you haven't seen for a long time are so different when you see them in real life. It was nice just listening to everyone talk, even though everyone is family it feels like strangers, the years of separation and distance make it even more so.

Following the visit we had a very, very nice surprise lunch at my cousin Lesley's house and just as we were finishing her eldest son David and his girlfriend Holly came home for the weekend, they are both in the British Army, David is a PT Instructor and Holly a Lieutenant, I'm not too sure exactly what Holly does I think its Admin and Finance etc..It was great to finally meet them as we had heard so much from Davids proud parents about both of them.

Saturday the 26th June was going to be a great day; we went shopping for some more food for tonight's party, we are having a family get together, unfortunately not as big as first planned due to several people being either double booked, away or sick, some of them are getting on in years now so I guess that happens. Anyway grocery shopping is a novel experience at my Auntie Jennifers due to the fact that she doesn't own a car, she doesn't drive, and she lives halfway up a hill! so you have to plan exactly what you are going to buy otherwise it's hard work bringing it home. Between some home delivers and Tony & Lesley helping with their car and Chris, Jennifer and I being pack horses we had gathered enough food to see us through the winter let alone a family get together!

With shopping all done we set off to the village of Kingsley, just down the road from Frodsham, with my cousin Tracey and Jennifer to see the village fair. What a lovely afternoon this was, we watched the street parade of vintage cars and all the school kids on floats all decorated in a circus theme, kids and parents were all dressed up as animals or circus characters. My favourite was the strong man, a dad who had a fake chest with muscles and had also shaved his very white English legs, he looked strange and even stranger I liked the bearded ladies??? anyone reading this would think I have a hair fetish!!!!

The fair continued on the school sports grounds and was great, dog agility, stalls selling the usual school fete stuff. My Auntie Jennifer spoiled me with a new BBQ apron, embroidered with the slogan "Chillin with some Grillin" this is so me. We looked over the vintage cars and found a nicely restored Austin Healey sports car, my Uncle Roy, Jennifer's husband had keenly restored one of these before he passed away, what a beautiful car. We enjoyed "Hog roast" as the locals call it; we know it as spit roast, pork on a roll, very nice and of course due to the very warm weather we had a pint of beer.

Saturday night was now here and the family get together was in full swing, it was lovely to spend time and chat, we had a big spread and loads of drinks I think everyone had a good time, I know we did. We got too see some family we hadn't seen for 26yrs, and really enjoyed just being there with them.

Sunday was a quite day, not due to over indulgence, just chillin. We had a nice walk to see where Tracey lived then came home through the fields surrounding the village, we saw the usual horses, sheep etc..we even saw lamas!! Early to bed because tomorrow we are off to Greece!!!!!

About chris_and_yogi


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.