Existing Member?

No more red dirt

Fire and Ice: Tierra del Fuego and Argentine glaciers

ARGENTINA | Saturday, 20 November 2010 | Views [549]

After Torres del Paine we headed south to Punta Arenas.  Being a Sunday there wasn’t much going on, most shops, museums...basically everything was closed.  With the next day being a public holiday (we were prepared this time) we figured there wasn’t much point hanging around.  After some complicated yet lax car hiring we set off for an overnight trip over to the Chilian side of Tierra del Fuego.  From Punta Arenas we headed north along the coast to get the ferry over to Tierra del Fuego. On the way we stopped off at an old abandoned estancia.  Chris took lots of moody photos of old building and boats while I got tooted at by all the truck drivers going past.  We also checked out Pali Aike national park where we saw guanacos (relatives of llamas and alpacas), foxes and not much else.  The landscape in this area is very flat and desolate.  Recent (thousands of years ago) volcanism in the park has resulted in some small craters and lava fields over much of the park. 

The ferry cross over to Tierra del Fuego was pretty quick 20 mins, only really enough time to buy tickets and have a quick look around.  A small black and white dolphin joined us for the trip, having a great time surfing in the wake of the ferry. Once on the island we headed south to Porvenir, the largest town on the Chilian side.  The landscape in northern Tierra del Fuego is pretty stark and desolate.  There were a few sheep (sheep farming and petroleum are the main industries around here) and lots of wild guanacos (they just jump the fences).   Porvenir was pretty deserted when we arrived, we found a place to stay and had dinner at the only place open.

The next day we drove around more desolate scenery and stopped briefly in a petroleum town which reminded us too much of mining towns in Australia so we left quickly. Then it was back onto the ferry again seeing dolphins before returning to Puta Arenas.  From there we travelled to El Chalten, by way of an overnight stay in Puerto Natales,  and an afternoon in El Calafate. 

El Chalten was built in 1985 to help secure the disputed border with Chile.  The town is surrounded by mountains of the Los Glaciers National Park, with several walking tracks going straight from the town centre.  The town itself is a little haphazard, buildings of different shapes and sizes have been put up with no serious thought of town planning.  Despite that it was a pleasant place to spend a few days and we liked the fact that we didn’t have to pay for the national park or park campsites (this is to change next year).  

The two main walking tracks from town can be done as two separate day walks however there is another track linking these two so we decided to do a 3 day tramp spending two nights camping in the park.  The first day we headed up towards Mt Fitzroy, from the mirador (view point) we could see the mountain, several small glaciers and a frozen lake.  On the left side of the lake you could look down a large drop to another glacier lake with big chunks of ice in it.  On the second day we headed over to Lago Torres and glacier, unfortunately the weather was closing in so we couldn’t see the top of the mountains.  Before leaving town we had checked the weather and knew that it was going to change on our final day so we made an effort to get up early and got back to town by lunch.  As we were walking out the weather packed up and it started to rain.  We passed several people going in the opposite direction to the lake, I don’t know why they bothered, you could tell from the first view point (only an hour from town) that you couldn’t see much at lake due to the weather.  Instead many of them pushed on and probably got very wet and cold.  That afternoon the rain turned into snow, but we didn’t mind as we were warm and dry in the hostel.

The next day Chris went for another big walk up to a different viewpoint.  The weather was clear and the snow pretty so he took lots of photos.  I instead had a very lazy day in town, which was great.  We also spent a day cycling from a lake by the Chilian border back to El Chalten (37 km along bumpy dirt roads).  The scenery was pretty good and it was great having the wind behind us most of way, made it a lot easier. 

From El Chalten we headed to El Calafate.  The big thing to do in El Calafate is to go and see the Pertio Moreno glacier.  So the next day we hopped on a bus and headed out there.  To our surprise a couple we had met on a boat on Lake Titicaca in Peru were on our bus. In Peru they we heading north while we were heading south into Bolivia, so we really did not expect to see them again. Perito Moreno glacier is one of the few glaciers in the world that is growing, it also moves at a very fast rate (in glacier terms) so there is always chunks of ice falling off.  At the glacier we took a short boat trip to see the glacier from the lake, then spent the rest of the time viewing the glaciers from the walkways and viewing platforms.  The site is a major tourist attraction and there are lots of people visiting it.  However, the Argentinian parks service seem to do a pretty good job at managing it and didn’t seem too crowded. That night we went with our friends to a Argentinian meat BBQ place.  Basically it is all about meat, don’t even think about going if you are a vegetarian.  The meat is BBQ’d in the kitchen then brought to the table over a tray of hot coals to finish up.  We got a meat combo (steak, lamb and chicken) to share, it was so much.  I don’t think I’ve eaten that much meat at one time before.....not surprisingly we were a bit off meat for a few days after.

We had planned to fly from El Calafate to Buenos Aires, the 36 hour bus ride did not sound like fun.  When booking we noted that our flight had 1 stop, but the ticket didn’t state where.  We had joked that it might go via Ushuaia at the very southern end of Argentian Patagonian, but didn’t take it seriously.  We had decided against going to Ushuaia on our trip due to time constraints, so we found it pretty funny when we got to the airport to discover that we were in fact going via Ushuaia.  So we can say that we have been to the end of the world, although we never got off the plane.  In Ushuaia we got some new passengers one of which was a magician.  We were treated to a mid air old fashioned magic show which was pretty funny.

 

 

About chris_and_dusk

Leaving Vista St

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.