Existing Member?

No more red dirt

Peru - Part 1

PERU | Tuesday, 7 September 2010 | Views [444]

We’ve been in Peru almost 3 weeks now and got into Cuzco on the bus last night. Currently sitting in bed waiting for gas to be delivered to the hostel so we can have a hot shower. So hence have time for blog writing.

Some of the interesting things I’ve noted about Peru:

·         The power lines have random electrical wires hanging from them reaching to approximately my head height above the pavement. I doubt they are live but so far have managed to avoid finding out.

·         Dogs live on the roofs of houses and bark at people walking on the pavement below.

·         Cats live in the city parks and people go down to the park to pet and feed them.

·         There is a huge range of cars. All brands, makes and models old and new from all over the world. Datsuns and old beetles seem to be the favourites.

·         Seeing someone sitting on the side of the road 100km from any sign of human habitation is normal.

·         Pasta, rice and potatoes in one meal is not carbo loading it is just dinner.

·         There is always a cheaper taxi just round the corner.

 

Our first week and a half in Peru was spent in Lima taking Spanish lessons. We had a really good teacher, pity we aren’t very good students. I should really do some revision.

The language school ran a few extramural activities in the afternoons and weekends. One of them was a trip to a Toro Match. Toro means bull in Spanish. It wasn’t a bull fight but a kind of football game where teams of 3 tried to score goals by getting the bull to chase them through the goal posts. The bulls weren’t that big but still dealt out some decent blows. Must have been a few sore players afterwards. After the Toro match everyone moved into an enclosed arena. We weren’t sure what was happening but soon found out it was cock fighting. In between the cock fights there was music and salsa dancing competitions. It made for a weird mix of gore and cheer and we really didn’t like it.

From Lima we took the bus to Arequipa. It was a very long trip almost 17 hours in total. We were in second class at the front of the upper level so had a good view but there was very little to see the whole way. The bus did play movies but they were non stop for the whole 17 hours and are hard to ignore when the tv is right in front of you. To top it off Dusk got quite car sick from the swaying about of the upper level. So from now on we have to take first class on the lower level.

Arequipa has quite a nice centre. There are a lot of older colonial buildings and just about every building is made from the local white volcanic stone. The highlight is the almost 500 year old monastery which you can go into and is a labyrinth of courtyards, alleys and buildings. They also do good apple pie.

From Arequipa we joined up on a 4 day guided trek to Cotahuasi Canyon – the deepest in the world. The trek ended up being more driving than trekking as it took a whole day to drive there and a whole day back including endless switch backs and some fairly scary roads with huge drops as we went over a pass and down into the canyon. We trekked along the canyon floor to a village only accessible by foot and camped overnight in front of the church. Apart from our group there were very few people about except for an eccentric American and a couple of locals who we managed to buy some homemade wine (vinegar) from. We also went for a short hike at the top of the pass at nearly 5000 metres – almost twice as high as either of us had been before. Apart from breathing a bit harder when walking up the hill neither of us felt any serious effects. In fact whereas most people lose their appetite I was the opposite and was really hungry.

In Cuzco for next couple of days then starting a 4 day trek in the Lares valley ending at Machu Pichu. After that Lake Titicaca and Bolivia.

Chris

 

About chris_and_dusk

Leaving Vista St

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.