Existing Member?

No more red dirt

And back again

CANADA | Wednesday, 21 July 2010 | Views [328]

We decided to take a more southerly route for our return journey to Vancouver, at times only a few kilometres from the US border.  We had less time than our eastward journey, with just under a week to make our way back.

First stop after Calgary was Waterton Lakes National Park in southern Alberta. It wasn’t on our original list of things to do, but was recommended by our friends and it was definitely worth the trip.  Didn’t start so well though.....Chris read (well thinks he did) in the lonely planet guide that the town campground was no good.  So we decided to try and stay at the campground on the edge of town.  We turned up, discovered it was a lot further out of town than we thought, paid our money, then headed to the tenting area where we were completely swamped by mosquitoes within moments of getting out of the car.  Thinking it would not be much fun tenting with that many mosquitoes we made a quick exit and luckily got our money back.  We ended up camping at the town campsite which was pretty good, so either the lonely planet or Chris was wrong.  Waterton town is a cute little town, however is slightly overrun with deer and ground squirrels. The ground squirrels don’t seem to do much apart from eat grass, dig holes and scare other ground squirrels away from their holes....quite amusing to watch and kind of cute.  The deer still had fawns with them......bambi and venison burgers came to mind. 

While at Waterton Lakes we did a day walk up to Crypt lake. It was a pretty cool walk.  We started in the forest, crossed scree slopes and streams, climbed ladders and walked through a tunnel just to get to the lake.  The lake itself was really nice.  There was still a bit of ice floating on it and crazy Chris decided to go for a very brief swim.  We realised afterward that the other side of the lake was the US. 

After Waterton we headed to Fernie.  Our plan was to stay a couple of nights there, but all the tent sites were full (only RV parks had places available), so we had to stay in Sparwood, which turned out to be a slightly random but good campsite.  The next day we headed up to Fernie ski resort to check it out.  We decided that we liked Kicking Horse better as a skifield to spend the winter, although Fernie town was quite nice.

After Fernie we headed to Rossland, another option for winter.  The town of Rossland is at over a 1000 m elevation and gets on average 3 m of snow a year, the ski field nearby even more.  Rossland is well known for its skiing and mountain biking.  Chris hired a bike for day a biked around some of the trails.  The highlight of the day was seeing a bear crash out of the trees beside the trail and run away.....I think both the bear and Chris got a fright.  Chris was happy though....the bear drought has finally broken!

We’re back in Vancouver now, getting organised for our trip up north.  First stop Whitehorse, then we catch the train over to Skagway in Alaska. 

 

About chris_and_dusk

Leaving Vista St

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.