Existing Member?

from summer to summer, I travel

to a summer in the big apple

USA | Thursday, 14 May 2015 | Views [119] | Scholarship Entry

I arrived in the end of may, to spend my summer vacations. I didn't know what to expect, but from the first on, I fell in love deeper and deeper. From the trips inside the crowded J train from Lower Manhattan to the Lower East Side, to working in an art gallery that used to be a synagogue, to getting lost in the island, there was no way not to love.

The art gallery looked pretty simple from the outside, but as soon as you got inside the heavy door, your jaw dropped. There were so many details in the beautiful architecture, I would notice different things each day. The room I worked in was white, so I decide to paint its walls, leaving my mark. Just as NYC left its mark in me.

Hemingway once said: "You can leave Paris, but Paris will never leave you". I can say that is true for the Big Apple too. As soon as you take the first bite, you get addicted. Each day I would get out of the gallery and wonder around the city. Each day I would find a different coffee shop, a nice little Italian restaurant, a small cupcake store. The city was always in blossom. during the weekends, I would meet with a friend to explore the town. Walking from Harlem to Brooklyn, having the famous Natan's hot dog in Bergen's beach, discovering good exhibitions in MET. It was all and adventure. Watching a movie in Prospect Park, taking a picture in LOVE sculpture, we would always end up in Washington Square.

We would sit on the edge of the fountain in the end of the night, after a day of exploring and watch the people pass by, talking about life. Each day I would understand more and more why so many singers sang about New York, why so many writers and movie makers would have the city that never sleeps as a living character. The more days the days passed on, and the summer passing, so fast, I could see the streets made of silver, shinning in the sunlight. I could see dreams coming true. The summer come to an end, as all the good things do. Bit it still lives on in delicious memories.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About chiminetops


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.