Existing Member?

The Creme Scene

When it rains...

CHINA | Sunday, 24 March 2013 | Views [233]

It rained one sweltering July afternoon, for hours non-stop and well into the evening. My Chinese friend said, “Like summer rain…” as if there was something to follow. I stared at him blankly.

“You know, like the saying, “Like summer rain; when it rains, it pours.”

“Oh,” was all that I could reply. My entire life I have used the idiom incorrectly and out of context. I thought it was like Murphy’s Law only by intensity instead of timing; but instead it was about the inverse proportions of rarity and intensity.

It rained today in Shanghai. In my room, listening to the skipping cadence of rain on roof, I could have been in Makati. The weather woman smiled on TV and followed a blue arrow behind her with a pen hand. She could have been telling the story of ancient sailors going back home to their families: I understood nothing she said. But the shapes I knew from Mr. Malabanan's class in high school: it looked as if her hand is the wind pushing clouds from the Philippines to China. It rained Philippine water in Shanghai. The streets hissed, giving up after a half-hearted fight and sighing a hazy mist; and the city is rescued from the torture of summer. But it cannot know the relief I felt.

I pulled out the last blazing laughter we shared, tucked hidden in my chest. It was but a melancholy ember of a smile then. I cupped it in my hands and pursed my lips into an almost soundless whisper, "Whooooooooooo?"

I crackled and roared back to life: You.

I have cursed the kilometers between us but I learned that without this distance of seas I would not have come to stretch my arms to reach for you. For too long I have let my hands fall feeble and useless at my sides when you were but an arm's length away.

It took wavelengths to broadcast what I should have said all along.

When I said I was miserable, I meant, "Make me happy."

When I said I was happy, I meant, "Let's stay together a little longer."

I will be back and thank you so much for the rain.

About chimeracupkeyk


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.