Existing Member?

Where in the World is ChicaChan?

But first, a few European stops

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 25 January 2008 | Views [932] | Comments [3]

En route to Rwanda, it is impossible to not pass over Europe so of course I had to make a few trips.  Boy, am I packing it in!  First off, I went to London for 2 days for a quickie visit.  I got to see my former flatmate in Barcelona, Lindy!!  Yippee! I got to see her lovely pad which is really Francisºs house.  Itºs so cute by the Clapham Common. 

I digress for a bit...I find it so funny the different way we Americans pronounce words from the Brits.  In the U.S., Clapham would be "Claph-am" versus the Brits´ way of "Clap-ham".  Or, "Streath-am" versus "Streat-ham".  It is so funny how much better sounding the Brits say things and then also how often we misunderstand each other because of little nuances like that!  My Chicago friend Chris, who has been living in London for the last 2+ years, and I giggled last night over how differently we say various words like "water" (Brits : wha-tah).  I will never ever know how to pronouce "Leicester Square".  ARGH!

Anyway, so the real reason I was in London was that I had an interview.  Yes, a real live interview!  So exciting because the few interviews I have had in the last year have been really few and really far between!  My good friend Joanne, the crazy Irish, called me up one day last month and cries, "I got you a job!!!".  She works at Credit Suisse and there was a position working with being this charity´s champion at the bank, motivating employees to donate and to set up activities.  So why did I go to an interview when I´m already committed to going to Africa for 3 months??  Good question.  I wanted to check things out to see if I would be interested in this type of position in the future and to see if this organization would like me, too.  In the end, it was a great experience.  I got to practice interviewing and they really asked some tough questions.  Face to face time with the CEO and the head of marketing.  It also felt nice to defend my skills and experience.  In the end, I didnºt get it.  They said I was very capable but I didnºt have the 2 central skills required out of the job, namely fundraising and event planning.  Iºm glad I went.  As I now I know what kind of charities are out there, what they are looking for, and what I can offer.  Itºs tough out there when you donºt exactly match what they are looking for!  But I never have to wonder what-if. 

Oh, the charity is called The Place 2Be and I think they are doing a really great thing.  They set up these centers at schools for kids to drop in whenever they feel like it to talk about anything.  Itºs basically counselling without the stigma associated with it.  How great!  The U.S. really needs this sort of thing so that there arenºt so many damn shootings!  The point is to get to at-risk kids before the damage is done later.  Brilliant!

It was a whirlwind 2 days where I was pretty much out of it most of time, trying to get over jet lag. Now, Iºm in location #2 completely destroyed.  I stayed up all night, having dinner and drinks, and hanging out all night until my early morning flight (6AM!!).  Now I canºt get into my hotel room so I canºt have that desperately needed shower and SLEEP.  Wahhhhhh!!!  

What Was Cool:

  • Fish! by London Bridge.  Has fantastic, oh so yummy fresh seafood!!  And a great toffee pudding!  A really beautiful modern structure and a great view of a beautifully lit cathedral.
  • OXO Tower in the South Bank of the Thames.  Great view for drinks!
  • Green Tomato Cars is an environmentally friendly private car service.  Better for the environment AND it costs less than those black cabs.

Tags: Culture

 

Comments

1

Carol,

As usual, you are cracking me up. I will thus be very upset with you if you stop writing. I haven´t had time to write my blog in a month and I´m starting to get threatening emails from random strangers. :) don´t be like me!!!! You don´t want threatening emails from me! Hmmm... maybe this is a threatening email... Consider yourself warned.

MWAHAHAHAHAHA

Besos
noelle

  Noelle Jan 29, 2008 3:36 AM

2

Wow, sounds like a great adventure already! From what I remember, Leicester is pronounced 'Lester'...still interesting to me how they just drop a bunch of letters....anyways. I'm glad things are going well. Can't wait to hear about your great adventures to come in Africa! Miss you and hope to see you sometime! Maybe in Chi this summer??? Even better, on my turf in South America??? Love ya and hope to see you soon! Chau!
Lisa

  Lisa Jan 30, 2008 4:24 AM

3

Glad to hear you're doing well! Get some sleep + eat healthy, get your strength up for Rwanda. FYI, I know a bunch of ladies that do development, foundation work, and fundraising in Chicago if you need to talk to someone. KISSES!

  Pauline - Cuzzy Wuzzy! Jan 31, 2008 3:49 PM

About chicachan


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.