Existing Member?

Travels with the Prince

Weird and wonderful travel

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 20 June 2010 | Views [455]

this person is fishing.... yes, really!

this person is fishing.... yes, really!

It pays to have a camera on you at all times when travelling, although this can often be inconvenient - like in the queue for boarding the bus to your plane at the airport and someone has this really intense look in their eyes and you know that AT ALL COSTS, they are determined to get to the FRONT of the bus, or the BACK of the bus, because then they just might get a better seat than everyone else. Although why this matters when all the seating is pre-allocated, remains a mystery to everyone without that particular agenda. But it would make a great photo... little old ladies sent flying, hair in disarray, bags being used as projectile missiles.

But sometimes the photo just happens - like when walking along the cliffs of Ireland spotting a young lady fishing off a 40 metre cliff, now I know there is something called the "Luck of the Irish" but isn't that expecting a bit much - actually hooking a fish and dragging it up the 40 metres to the top of the cliff? And what if the fish that bites is a HUGE shark, or something really hungry that swallows the bait in one gulp and takes off.... surely the thought would cross her mind that she might get pulled in?? Well,I guess the Irish have always had a different way of viewing the world and it's workings.

Today we went to a little local market, selling some really interesting stuff.... like toilet paper in bulk and socks with mud spattered on them. John thought he fancied some CD's to provide some distraction while driving behind tractors on narrow Irish lanes, so he paid about 10 euro for a handful, while the talkative salesman assured us he would not be asking a lot of money for them "te b'suure". As we walked back to the car, I jokingly suggested to John that he check that there actually are CD's inside the covers and out of about 6 CD's there was only one with anything inside! "Well, the connivin' teevs!" was the salesman's comment when he handing John his money back..."who would have tort to be rob'd like dat!"

More of the Irish to follow... te b'suure.

Tags: unusual, weird, wonderful

About cherylb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.