Existing Member?

Life Of The City

Books & Coffee

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 17 April 2015 | Views [151] | Scholarship Entry

Growing up in a fairly small town, I’d never truly been able to experience the vivacity and hubbub of the big city until I found myself in Sydney. All of a sudden I was thrown into a world of scurrying pedestrians, honking horns, skyscrapers and the odd impassioned protestor, shouting at me to join their cause.
And I absolutely loved it. Being in the heart of Sydney, you feel it in your body, in every step you take – pumping in your veins is the life of the city. And every heart beat is a new adventure.
That being said, sometimes it’s nice to take a step back and relax a little. I remember the day I was exploring Oxford Street. Shop after gloriously high-end shop passed me by. People strolled by, talking on their phones and going about their daily lives. It was all very captivating, but I soon found myself wedged in a small café aptly named Ampersand. Wanting to try something new, I quickly ordered a latte and I was surprised when the cashier handed me a table number. Upon witnessing my confused expression, he politely asked me if I was eating upstairs.
Upstairs?
Unbeknownst to me, a small staircase could be found to my left. I made my way up to the next level, positive that this would be your run-of-the-mill café. To my utter surprise, I found myself in Wonderland. Surrounding me were walls lined with shelves filled to the brim with beautifully coloured, mismatched novels. Old leather-bound crafts, delicate little books with fading letters and awesomely designed tomes that could’ve passed as spell books. Even the seating was unconventional – I myself sat in a quaint little window seat with a lovely view of Oxford Street.
Looking at the hustle and bustle below, it was easy to feel like I’d been transported to Diagon Alley and was now sipping my coffee in some enchanted café. I was truly entranced by the rustic look and the quietness within the walls of this unassuming building. For a book-lover like me, it was otherworldly. I couldn’t even tell you if the latte was good or not, so absorbed was I with the atmosphere. I people-watched from my quiet corner. They came, they ate and read. They looked around with wonder in their eyes as they ran fingers over the books.
There was something about that café that touched me quite deeply. Tucked away on busy Oxford Street was this magical place that I had almost passed by. That I had taken to be a boring shop. Sydney taught me that there is beauty and wonder in all places… you just have to open your eyes to see it.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About chelseasutherland


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.