Existing Member?

Gravity Hill and the Fantasy Forest

Gravity Hill and the Fantasy Forest

HONDURAS | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [319] | Scholarship Entry

Started out as an adventure run in a never ending fight for shower turns. Among shoves I got mine at a neighboring cabin which had the ever likable smell of organic coffee on the mezzanine. It seemed we all woke up at the same time and wanted to reach the unobtainable starting deadline. After a two hour delay (mostly due to the never-ending and true cliché of girls overdressed for a forest adventure) we turned on the engine of an old red 82’ Ford truck which needed a water drink every 30 miles. Through the steep hills we left our chambers at the Cabins of El Llano de la Virgen in Intibuca, Honduras.

Our next stop, a double expresso with a hint of amaretto at El Rincon Lenca a rustic yet modern menu venue with local and international cuisine and an upstairs bar filled with old rock star pictures. Passing through the folklore of the fruit market in La Esperanza; we made our next turn which took us back to Intibuca and the no gravity hill. Yes, I said it defining the laws of gravity was before us a hill with an angle steeper than 90 degrees; which was believed to do everything backwards. So we stopped and put it on neutral and one by one (10 people, talk about clowns) got out and stood on the sideline. What came next was just like elephants playing tambourine on your back lawn, as far as unbelievable goes this is up there. The car started to take up speed yes UP THE HILL!

After some 8 comments or so of aspiring wannabe physicists we just took it all in and captured the unbelievable scene. And yeah, we had to run after the truck, because as unbelievable as it sounds it did pick up speed.

45 miles away was another farfetched fantasy about miniature trees more than 200 years old. So just as curious as “George,” we could not wait to develop a lead foot and get there as fast as possible. Still skeptical about the whole forest thing a bet started to arise, the stakes we more interesting than money… They went from skinny dipping to streaking on highly traveled streets.

After a few drinks too many we arrived at our final destination, and even though none of us was a licensed biologist or tree hugger we knew that this was the real deal. Full grown trees of every kind, pine, oak, elm etc. with a height that didn’t even reach 2 meters. This was the perfect place for a relaxing chill back just to admire one of the world’s rarest beauties. A true hidden gem.

So if your ever out for adventure check out the twin cities of La Esperanza and Intibuca in Honduras.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About chele


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Honduras

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.