Existing Member?

Las Aventuras

Imagining a Future Far Off Land

USA | Friday, 11 April 2014 | Views [185] | Scholarship Entry

The first time I came to the realization that I would be spending two years of my life living in Tangier, Morocco, I knew what genuine happiness felt like for the rare time in my life. It began, quite honestly, after a day of laziness. I sat basking in the beautiful realm that is Netflix, watching international films which allowed me to fantasize about the idea of someday living in worlds beyond the spectrum of my own understanding. I imagined what it would be like to feel a broad array of emotions as I navigated the road of learning a new language, and then in turn communicating in that language efficiently...beautifully.

I remember that day to be very Argentine in theme, watching Argentine foreign films while drinking Mate Cocido from a native tin cup that was given to me for my birthday by my mother. As I spent this day marinating in my joyful lack of motility, I didn't realize that I had an email waiting in my inbox that would change my life.

Two months after finally pressing "submit" on an application process which was strenuous to say the least, I found out that this upcoming January, I would have the title of PeaceCorps volunteer. I distinctly remember thinking that it didn't matter where I was assigned, but the double edge emotion of fear and excitement was one of the most thrilling/character defining thing that I am fortunate enough to experience. Once I learned that it would be Morocco, my mind began to race with all the emotions that a normal human being should fear when faced with the prospect of entering a whole new chapter in one's life: fear, joy, insecurity, understanding, anxiety, excitement and then ultimately.... calm.

I am a man born and raised with two cultures, an American by birth and an Argentine by heart. I was raised in the United States in an Argentine household, as my mother came to the states as an international student and then became a naturalized citizen before having me. I think all human beings have many parts that make up the whole, mine parts always felt more in quantity that I imagine most people would be used to. Growing up with both feet in different cultures, I learned to see the world as a medium for understanding humanity. When I got that email and read of my pending adventure, I know no other way to describe but as to share than to say that there is a powerful peace that washes over your spirit when you find out what truly makes you feel absolute joy.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About che-lancino21


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.