Existing Member?

experiences and memories

from the unknown to the unknown

SLOVENIA | Wednesday, 23 April 2014 | Views [126] | Scholarship Entry

After crossing the wild and peaceful countryside I ended up sleeping near the Bled lake. The morning after I started hitchiking through Slovenia, walking through valleys while waiting for some unknown drivers to pick me up. I ended up in Ljubliana and there, talking with some people selling traditional toys by the river I made friends with few of them and went out with them at night. I discovered Zizek,experienced the intense and light cultural life of the city, tasted wonderful food in the best places in town. I spent the night immersed in the caothic and loud atmosphere of Metelkova, breathing the freedom I felt very few times in other cities. For the first time in my life I tried to sleep "on the street". Drunk people with angry faces were walking around me so I didn't feel like sleeping completely. Cause I couldn't fall asleep I decided to start talking with them and that's how I met a soldier of the Tito's army, people who were nostalgic of their lives at the time of former Yugoslavia and got several information about their personal and national history. They told me how to move through the Balkans, what to visit, how they consider people from their countries of that area. My initial fear disappeared and I could learn about how it was for them to be in war with people with whom they were friends few days before. After those serious topics, alwasy expressed with a sad smile and a pure heart, we started laughing about everything, included the stereotypes they or I had. I found out about wonderful festivals by the Soca river and some of them invited me to spend the NYE with them. I was supposed to continue my trip all through the Balkans but family reasons took me back to my hometown and roots. The presence of such a clean and pure nature was reflected in the souls of everyone I met and I took it for myself as the most precious gift of that short trip.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About chatwinsfootprints


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Slovenia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.