Existing Member?

People and Expressions

Magical Journey of Sariska Tiger Reserve

INDIA | Friday, 31 October 2014 | Views [292]

Magical Journey of sariska tiger reserve

Sariska Tiger Reserve is a national park which lies in the Alwar district of Rajasthan state of India.  In the pre-independence period the forests within the Reserve were maintained as a hunting reserve area for the royalty of the former Alwar State. After independence, it got the status of wildlife reserve in the year 1955 when it became unlawful to hunt, shoot, net, trap, snare, capture or kill any kind of wild animals. It was promoted to a Sanctuary in 1958 and finally became a Tiger reserve in the year 1978 making it a part of India’s Project Tiger scheme.

When we planned for Sariska, I was very excited because I was visiting any national park for the first time, at the same time I was a bit scared to, because of the incidents of tiger attacks which I have heard in the past. But the traveller and a photographer inside me was more excited.

We visited Sariska in early November. We drove through Delhi to Alwar. Sariska is situated about 50-60 Kms away from main city Alwar. we reached Sariska early around 8 am. There are good chances of spotting tigers and other animals early morning, as they come out to drink water at that time. Though a bit scared, we didn’t want to miss any chances of spotting the most fierce animal in his natural habitat.

From main gate, a Jipsy was to take us inside the national park. The national park is spread in an area of 866 square kms. We had booked our safari through the booking counter. After some formalities, we got out Jipsy with a driver and a guide. When I saw the Jipsy my fear increased, as it was an open Jipsy with no grills. Although the driver was young but looked experienced, our guide was a very young boy, who looked like “just out from school”. They were not even carrying any weapon or rod with them, so I finally asked them, what if a tiger attacks. On which they replied they do not attack, but I was not satisfied and I kept asking different questions. When I asked if there are any chances of spotting tiger, our driver replied, if you are lucky enough you can spot them. He also told that in yesterday’s safari, a tigress and her cubs were walking just next to his Jipsy.

After some time we started spotting various animals. Temperature was pretty low inside the national park as compared to outside, infact it was chilling outside. We spotted animals like Crocodile, chital, sambar, four-horned antelope, nilgai, hyena and various varieties of birds. But we were yet to spot a tiger.

Our driver took us through various tracks. He told that when there is a sudden anxious noises from animals , there are good chances of Tiger or leopard being there. He followed such noises. He also followed the traces of tigers, he showed us some fresh traces of tiger, he had developed that experience through years. So we followed the traces.

Suddenly we heard some commotions, we drove towards the place. Our driver stopped the Jipsy there as he was sure the commotion is due to presence of some hunting animal. We looked around, but we couldn’t see anything, after stopping there for some time when we were about the move.Unfortunately we couldn’t spot any tiger, except for some traces and marks but at the same time we were satisfied and thrilled to spot other animals in their natural habitat.

 I was amazed by the forest rangers and guards, who stay in that huge forest and between wild animals. They take care of those animals, feed and treat them sometimes. Our safari was 4-5 hours. It was really great to witness wild animals in their natural beings.

Forest Types
Tropical Dry Deciduous Forest
Tropical Thorn Forest 

General Information : 
Best Time to Visit : October to June. 
Nearest Town : Alwar (21 km) 

How to Get Here : 
Air : Jaipur (108 km) 
Rail : Alwar (21 km).

 

 

 

 

Tags: animal, photo story, sariska tiger reserve

About chattrapalsingh


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.