Existing Member?

MyItchyFeetAreBringingMeTo... My adventures in the Americas and beyond!

4 jours à Singapour

SINGAPORE | Sunday, 4 May 2014 | Views [380]

My proper backpacking travels, by myself, have resumed.

After Bali, I flew to Singapore for about 4 days and I’ve had a great time. I think I chose a very nice hostel to begin with, not so much for the comfort or price but for the atmosphere. Staff were so nice and friendly that they managed to get people to interact naturally with each other in a very simple way and I got to meet really nice people to spend most evenings enjoying good food and good company!

Singapore in a way is like the Switzerland of South East Asia. Technically, everything is very efficient and organised. Economically doing very well, it is also probably the most expensive to visit. But after Australia… who cares it’s still a little cheaper and service is a lot better. Culturally, it’s a huge mix. Everywhere in Singapore things are written in 4 different languages: Chinese, Malay, English, and Indian (sorry I know there is no such thing as Indian language but I’m ignorant to which one, or even how it’s called… this I’m a bit ashamed of… could it be Sanskrit?)

When I started visiting the city, a bit randomly I went through Marina bay, which is close by the water and oversees all the skyscraper filled landscape. On one side, the CBD and on the other side MBS: Marina Bay Sands Hotel, impressive building with 3 towers of 56 floors all linked at the top by a roof shaped like a sort of boat where you can overlook the city.    At first I then thought that Singapore was just another ultra-modern city with very impressive architecture but then… just that kind of city. But I was sooooo wrong and realised it very quickly on the same day in the afternoon when I started visiting other districts. I got to Chinatown and then Little India that I really loved walking through. In the evening went to meet people in the Arabic district. In one day it was like visiting different countries/ cultures all accessible by walk!!!  How amazing is this?? I love the idea.

Otherwise I was surprised to learn what other travellers had heard before about Singapore’s reputation as a strict city. I had really no clue until I got there but I’m not much of a troublemaker anyway so… it wasn’t a problem!! But it was funny to learn whilst I was offering a gum to someone that selling chewing-gum in Singapore is apparently forbidden. Yes, streets are very clean in Singapore!! And fines very heavy if you believe the signs in the MRT stations (subway trains), and it includes a S$500 fine if you are caught eating or drinking (not just alcohol: any drink) on the train. I think it’s nice to have rules to try to make a huge city nicer… but how far can it go? It’s not like there is security or police every corner trying to fine you but still, it feels a bit like you’re not free to live your life-on the train- as you would like. What if you’re late or running from one place to another after work and you’re starving? Can’t you just bite into a snack then? Not that it’s the most appropriate place to eat or drink but still, psychologically it feels wrong to me knowing that you risk a fine just for this essential random everyday ‘needs’. Anyway, it’s just my opinion, maybe being a bit French about it and thinking about freedom in a general term. As long as you’re not a danger/nuisance or showing disrespect to others nor to yourself why would something be forbidden? It’s like jaywalking, if it’s safe for you to cross and there is not a single car in sight… you are in a public space and a free individual, why would you have to walk another 100meters to cross the street, or why would you be fined if you just cross? It’s only my opinion and maybe I’m missing something essential here… but it’s just another debate, not for now.  

So in general I found Singapore quite nice and not as strict as everybody was expecting, very rich in culture and met very interesting fellow travellers. It was an excellent start to my trip (obviously after Bali, but I had company there!)  

Today I arrived in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. First impressions are good, the culture shock is on! In a good way so far.

About charline_thomasson


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.