Existing Member?

MyItchyFeetAreBringingMeTo... My adventures in the Americas and beyond!

Griffith, NSW, Australia

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 25 January 2014 | Views [569]

First of all happy new year to readers of my blog!!!

It’s been more than a month I didn’t write as I moved onto the countryside of New South Wales in Australia. I arrived early December in a town called Griffith in search of work and the good news is that I have been successful doing so.

I worked only a few days here and there but had a couple of very cool experiences before getting a real longer term job in the region. My most memorable job was when a friend and I were driven to the smallish airport of Griffith to clean airplanes. It was for a small company of ground surveying planes and we got to fly in a two seat plane above the region on our last day of work. It was really good!!

Since then I have completed my first week of fully time work in a winery. I work with 3 other girls at the weigh bridge where trucks arrive with the grapes during harvest time. It’s really good as it is in offices under the air conditioning. It might be hard to understand the heat for readers based in Europe as I know it is winter for you. But here I’ve lived the hottest days of my life so far. Last week it was 40 degrees every single day and I am nowhere near the beach or even a lake.

The job is interesting as well since I have only visited wineries as a tourist before but never really seen or learn much about the process of wine making in such details. Which is ironic for a French national!! The atmosphere is very relaxed at work but the hours are very long. My system is still adapting to working full time again and working 10 hours at least each day. It will be another thing to adapt to night shift but it will make it a bit of a change in case the job during the day gets too repetitive.

I am very happy about my experience in Australia right now because I chose a backpacker place and living the country life is more authentic and enjoyable.

I also enjoy very much living at the working hostel where I am. All people staying here are staying for a while as they work as well in farms for 2-3 or more months. So we have shaped a sort of international family, mostly European, with French, Germans and Italians. Going back from work to the hostel really feels like going home after 2 months being here.

So life is good for me and busy now which is helping he homesickness I had felt at the beginning of my stay in Australia.

I’ll try to keep up with writing the blog to give more news if anything exciting happens!

About charline_thomasson


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.