Existing Member?

MyItchyFeetAreBringingMeTo... My adventures in the Americas and beyond!

Chilling in Chile before ocean jumping

CHILE | Tuesday, 29 October 2013 | Views [422]

I finally left Argentina yesterday, after my last week in Buenos Aires which I spent mainly reading about Australia as I got a guidebook delivered there when I was away discovering the country. My last week in Buenos Aires was filled with mixed feelings for different reasons and I felt a bit homesick as a result but I did meet some other amazing people meanwhile! I met a family of 5, with kids from 5 to 12 years old travelling together for a year around the world. This really is an amazing project as a family! It needs a lot of organisation and they have to take more time for everything as they must also have some kind of school time most mornings. But it will be for sure for all of them the time of their life and I can't imagine there is a stronger experience than this to link all family members closer!

Anyway, enough talked about time in Argentina, I arrived in Chile yesterday. The first thing was to see the Cordillas de los Andes from the plane. It was so beautiful. As well I don't how I managed to keep it for the exact moment but when I left London I was offered a book (rather big) which is the biography of one of my favourite writers (Saint Exupery) who was also a pilot. It's been 4 months I carry this in my backpack and I only started to read it lately whilst in Argentina... And of course I knew it but had forgotten that Saint Exupery was one of the first pilot to open airmail routes in Argentina and crossed the Andes as well in his tiny planes. So there is no better reading for me at the moment as I am in the places I am reading about! I just can't imagine how it must have felt to fly over the Andes in a tiny plane of the 1930's.

On my arrival in Santiago I headed straight to my hostel which is in a "trendy" area as far as I understand. It has nothing of a South American feeling but more of a hipstery hang out... It is very quite cute but in my opinion is filled with people who smell very fake and taking care of the way they look more than anything else... But this is only my first impression, I have not yet visited much more of the city. As for Buenos Aires, the hostel is full of Brazilians! I think they are definitely the most travelled people in South America. Apparently the girls from my dorm came from Sao Paulo on a return ticket to Santiago and back for 50 USD... so it is definitely worth it for a long weekend! Although Chile is rather expensive as a country in South America it remains a bit cheaper than Brazil I guess.

I feel weird to leave South America soon, I am wondering how much of my spanish course I will keep in a side of my brain as I will maybe not practice much in future....

But I am glad to go discover another part of the world, and it will be so much easier in English! ...Australian english mate! hehe!

 

 

About charline_thomasson


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.