Existing Member?

MyItchyFeetAreBringingMeTo... My adventures in the Americas and beyond!

Last days in Brazil

BRAZIL | Wednesday, 11 September 2013 | Views [468]

This might be my last post from Brazil or the one before last. But first I want to thank everybody reading my blog because I can see that a few people are following my adventures (I cannot see who of course but it is nice to know I have readers, even if I selfishly read my posts again anyway!) I also want to apologize again for all the spelling mistakes and words gone missing as I type. Sometimes I dont have enough time, and sometimes I just cannot be bothered learning new keyboards configuration...Anyway, this is done, thanks for reading my awefully written stories!!! hehe! and please for those who fancy taking a few minutes to write an email I would be honoured to receive news from you! I have of course been in touch with a few but just in case... don't hesitate!

 

Anyway, since the last post a few days ago I did visit the Brazilian side of the Iguazu falls, and I have to admit an embarrasing truth... after taking million pictures on the Argentinian side the day before, I left my battery charging at night and forgot it in the charger! So I will never prove which side of the falls is better, which is kind of a more diplomatic way to answer the question! But I did feel extremely stupid when I took my camera out and realised I wasn't going to use it that day. All of it will just be memories for my brain only. Then I took a bus to Curitiba.
It was the first long distance bus I was using in Brazil and I was a bit nervous because I chose the cheapest option. Well, it was actually the best bus I travelled with since I started my trip. In Mexico the buses were absolutely fine, but THAT bus, which was half price compared to the fancy option was luxury. I mean the seat was reclining almost fully. I slept like a baby! The only thing which I was prepared for was the air conditioning set to "arctic circle" but after almost " months backpacking no bus driver will fool me anymore! I had my sleeping bag with me!

I chose to go to Curitiba because my very good friend Jules introduced me to his friend Maria who lives here. So I was very nicely welcomed into her home although she is quite busy preparing for exams. meanwhile I decided not to bother her too much and go around the state of Parana. The experience of the last two days has been a bit mixed. With some very good and some slightly disappointing elements. But obviously I take it all as an experience, and it is part of discovering places.I went on my first train ride since I left Europe! and it was a touristic train! it is supposed to be a beautiful scenery but unfortunately the fog hid all of it. However, the train ride I had was one of the best ever!!! As Brazil is proving to be quite an expensive country to travel around I chose one the cheapest tickets for the train ride. Which meant I had a guide in the coach who spoke only Portuguese, but I had guessed it would be fine anyway...not much to say I guess except for a little bit of history of the railway which I could more or less understand anyway.
But this also meant that I was the only foreigner in the coach! and the rest of the car was filled with a family of 3 + a HUGE family and friends party of about 40 people! it was like a big fiesta! Shouting in each tunnel we would pass, singing and being happy! I laughed a lot! And the Portuguese speaking guide was so sweet, she was trying to find a better seat for le in another car as the left side of the train is were all the scenery is...she didn't manage but anyway that day there was nothing to see!
The train took us fro, Curitiba to Morretes which is a very cute little colonial town. I visited for a few hours and took the bus to Paranagua.
In Paranagua, I started getting the feeling that I was totally off-season. And it was not just a feeling but the truth! I stayed in a creepy hostel where we were just 3 guests, also it must be the dirtiest hostel I have stayed at. I mean so far I had nothing to complain about. But I think it is due to the fact that it is low season and owners are not keeping it very well when visitors are not many. But I am glad I was only staying for one night. Also the girl at reception didn't look bothered at all (she was polite but just not interested) so it wasn't the best experience. And hwilst it can sound like relaxing to have a whole dorm to yourself, well let's say if the place was actually clean, I ca ntell you it actually feels really creepy to have no one to talk to!

So I was relevied to leave next morning to go to Ilha Do Mel...which should have been my last beach experience for a while...well again it was very foggy most of the time and I was really the only foreigner amongst very few other travellers. Again I was by myself in the hostel, this one was actually clean and felt a lot better, very close to the beach (I mean everything is close to the beach on that island anyway!)So it felt a little bit like a wast of money and time to go all the way there and back for almost nothing... But it is part of the experience and I do have one very nice moment on the island which I will keep in mind. Whilst the daylight was disappearing, I was watching the high tide and the sea and I saw a dolphin!!!! so I was kind of proud that so far in my trip I resisted paying lots of money to go see dolphins or swim with them like they have in Mexico. All I needed to do was to go somewhere where they live and just watch from further! I was very impressed.

To add to the mixed feelings about the last few days, the fact of being the only tourist also made me aware even more that I am a solo female traveller. I never felt the pressure before during my trip; but here in Brazil the "male authority" is very strong and it has made me feel a bit uncomfortable a few times in the past two days whilst I was by myself. So I am glad to be back to a bigger town with people I know and I will learn to maybe avoid more remote areas if going alone because it is not much fun to feel very little.

For my last days in Brazil I have chosen to skip Sao Paulo or maybe I will make an effort for 1 day but I have booked myself a nice hotel for 2 nights and will enjoy relaxing before I fly to Montevideo - Uruguay. I also need to prepare for slightly colder weather...yes it is winter in South America and the more I go South, the colder it gets, so I am losing my tan little by little but the sun is here most of the time. I am looking forward visiting new countries just a little less looking forward going below 20° degrees...

 

About charline_thomasson


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.