Existing Member?

Six months abroad!

Arrived!

MALAYSIA | Monday, 14 March 2011 | Views [643] | Comments [6]

Hi everyone,

Arrived safe and sound in KL was abit of a culture shock for me (Nell), Staying in a small room, Ross and I are wondering how they got the bed in! There are no windows either! Kuala Lumpur is a strange place I think I thought it would be very developed and westernised. It is in some respects, but everything looks like it is half completed eg, buildings, landscaping, etc. '

On the flight we thought we had a 6 hour flight and landed at 3pm aus time, turns out it was 3pm kl time so it was an 8 hr flight! :( Much to our suprise when we started getting ready for landing at the 6 hour mark only to find we had another 2 hours!

The food on the flight was good, we had Nasi Lemak. (Ross forgot the cord that uploads the camera so we are off to find one of these today) I will upload photos as soon as I get a cord......

We are staying in the suburb Bukit Bintang, when you walk from our hotel it is like the slums and then you turn the corner and you are at this huge shopping precinct. We had dinner in the slums last night. (All of the locals were there so we thought that was a good indicator of good food) And we were right!

We sat down and this indian guy with little english just stared at us, we asked for a menu and he had no clue what we were on about so I just asked for noodles with chicken and Ross asked for a spicey chicken curry..We knew he didnt understand us so we were just like 'What the hell, hope its good' lol. He came out with 2 plates of spicey chicken noodles, it was sooooo good! Ross saw the old man chef spinning roti bread dough and ordered some using the pointing technique. I did the same with this hot drink i saw them all drinking, which turned out to be just sweet coffee- made out of condensed milk and a already made up coffee mixture from a can!

Well we are off to have a look around today so I will repost later and hopefully have some photos for you all.

P.S dad I got your text message, I have no credit and no crickets as yet for breakfast, just some dodgy westerner breakfast we got for free in the hotel/ sardine can. (cant complain it was free!

P.P.S Cathleen, Im wearing a face full of makeup muahahah u love it! xoxo xoxoxoxo

Comments

1

Hey you too....the main street of KL is where it is at. Wait until you see the upmarket shopping centres...even Melbourne cannot compete!. Take the monorail around. Make sure you go up the Petrona Towers (and the shopping centre underneath it). If you have time, get yourself to Genting! Especially if you go via the sky lift..it is amaxing. The previous Mark was scared shitless. Especially as it has an amaxing adventure park too
The food in the main section is divine. Forget Malay, eat Persian and Egyptian.
You will find that most speak English quite well.
There is heaps to do. I loved KL, especially as it was so different from Singapore. And you will find your dollars last longer.

  David Rolls Mar 14, 2011 4:24 PM

2

Sounds like you are having a great experience. Your writing makes me feel I am there with you-if only! Caroline is having a great time. We are still doing lots of babysitting-we are enjoying Munro's company so much. Guess what -we are off to Bruny Island for a visit. Won't be getting osyters as we had some the other day. Caroline not too keen on the raw ones but we loved them. We went to the Botanical Gardens today for a picnic and a walk. The weather here is just great with lots of sun and the forecast is very promising for the rest of the week.
How is the weather with you? How many nights are you in KL? I'm sure you told us but can't remember. Bangkok your next stop? I'm really looking forward to your photos and hearing more news. This is a great way to keep up with you. Take care with all your travels. All our love Mum and Dad xxxxxxxxxxxx

  Jess Brodie Mar 14, 2011 5:51 PM

3

Oh darling girl, sitting here looking at your photo's makes me realise what a wonderful adventure you have ahead of you. I'm so very proud of you and love you with all my heart. I think your Mum is going ok, it's me that's not coping with you on the other side of the world (well almost).
Aunty Susie xxxxxxxxxxx

  Aunty Susie Mar 14, 2011 8:44 PM

4

Looks like you were mixing it up with the locals! Were your feet sparkly?!? we miss you both we were just getting used to you guys being back home!, alas back to my cooking again....KL looks like a fun experience!Youre just getting started....teddy misses you the most ross!!!he he all our love to you bothXXXXXXXXXXXX

  mummee&daddeee Mar 14, 2011 9:26 PM

5

ohhhh heeeeeee!
OMG, ssssooooooooooo jealous!!
You look like your having THE best time!!!!
so should have packed me into your suite case................

but SERIOUSLY :l
oh and ps. >>>>>>> ive already raided your cuppoard,,,, you know it ;) and ross thanks for letting me use your car for practising driving in!!!!....... your deffs gonna have something to look forward to when you get home....

xoxo gossip girl <3

  lil' George! Mar 14, 2011 9:43 PM

6

Hi my beautiful people. Great photos love your room see I could have come with you
plenty of room ha ha ha. The fish photos were great I hope you counted your toes I waiting for Jaws. We are all missing you both me the most of cause. Looking forward to the next group of photos keep up the great work. It makes me feel like I am with you sending lots of love always. Cate xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Cate Stanley Mar 14, 2011 10:57 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.