Existing Member?

Day Workers

My Video scholarship 2010 entry

WORLDWIDE | Thursday, 29 July 2010 | Views [214] | Scholarship Entry

Immigration is a very polarizing subject in the U.S.  My intention for this short film was not to weigh in with an opinion on the matter but simply to focus on the human side of the issue.  The film’s subject is a moment in the lives of some day laborers, which in this case revolves around the simple act of eating a meal.  I was inspired by the story I heard of the Father in the film who has arranged to provide meals for these men.

I shot this footage earlier this month in Santa Fe, NM as research for a hoped for larger piece on the same subject.  As such, most of the footage I shot for this film was unplanned, and it was while I was editing it that the narrative came together. 

My biggest challenge with this film was gaining the trust of the men I filmed.  Not surprisingly, they were at first reluctant to be on camera.

Stories are everywhere, and to me filmmaking is the ultimate storyteller's medium.  As an aspiring documentary filmmaker, I believe my role and calling is that of a facilitator in helping to tell stories that might not otherwise be heard.

Tags: 2010 travel video scholarship

About chamisaville


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.