Existing Member?

World through my writing

Living Life in 21 days

INDIA | Sunday, 4 May 2014 | Views [128] | Scholarship Entry

The first time I saw billions, trillions and gazillions of stars with my naked eyes, I knew I was on top of the world; literally. At the height of 11,000 feet above sea level, with practically no connect with the outer world, I was definitely living every moment of my life. I stood on the flat surface of a rock next to my tent and gazed at the most serene view up above my head. The flow of Bias River behind my tent, lend me a great background score while I drifted in the thoughts of my journey from the first day of this camp.
We arrived on Bandra Kurla Terminus at 7:30 am. New faces stood around in 4 straight queues with backpacks, crooked smiles and sparkling eyes bidding goodbyes to their parents. I looked at my aunt, smiled and waved her a happy goodbye, with a small request, “Take care of my phone, until I am away”. Immediately after, we boarded our train to Chandigarh, and I sat on my allotted seat and wondered what the next 21 days had in store for me.
We introduced ourselves, spoke openly about our likes and dislikes and started our journey. That’s when I realized the value of this golden opportunity. This was my time; No one knew me and I didn't know anybody, it was a blank book I wanted to fill with happy memories.
After a series of incidents like: Facing a giant eunuch at Delhi station, wondering around in the stone garden of Chandigarh, eating omelet with a bun and drinking lassi at mid-night, over-night bus journey to Manali, playing football with a bunch of random guys versus a single girl, scoring a goal with body temperature shooting up, ignoring the fever and moving ahead with the trip, 13 km walk to our next destination, experiencing first snow fall of my life while watching vertical limit, simultaneously saw a bunch of scared faces around, moved ahead to our final destination, broke down because of a minor breathing problem, gathered up all the will and moved ahead, reached our final destination, saw my tent for the first time, did not change clothes or showered for 9 straight days, gave my best shot at the skiing training, focused on the goal of making my father proud and living his dream, saw people giving up, lived a life where for once girls and boys were treated equal, stayed away from group politics, cooked moderately edible food for the group, gave my skiing test, saw the snow melt, saw flowers blooming below the melted snow, season changed, time moved ahead, random people were now my best friends. I was back to the reality.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About chaitali_serendipity


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.