Existing Member?

The Road Less Traveled By Serving to systematically document my travels on my journey to self-disovery. In reality, thoughts, musing, and experiences as I attempt to travel to as many worldly destinations as possible.

Day 37: Alex's Last Day

KENYA | Thursday, 28 March 2013 | Views [364]

Alex and I spent the whole day together. It was her last day in Rongai before she moves to Mlongo, where she is going to work with a women’s HIV/AIDS program for a month before leaving for Tanzania. We taught in the morning and then went to the disabilities school for the afternoon. Hanging out with the kids is so tranquil, and they love interacting with us. They are such terrific kids. I’m going to do a better job of going to the school in the afternoons because I love being there and spending time with the children. I haven’t been going regularly because there have been so many projects going on at the Light School and I’m usually exhausted after teaching during the day.

Alex and I did about a half day of teaching today and then went on a mission to finish getting the pictures for Class 8 registration. Since it was too late to upload the pictures online, Alex and I went to get them put on a CD as well as printed. Charles will have to take them to the District Education Officer (DEO) in charge of exam registration for the area. Everything is now taken care of for registration, so hopefully the kids are all able to take their exams and do well! It’s great that we got it done, but it’s also frustrating, because neither Charles nor the school bring in any sort of income, they just expect volunteers and “good Samaritans” to pay for everything. However, with a Class 8 every year from now on, they really need to put something in place to ensure that they can pay the registration fees, because it’s not fair to expect volunteers to pay 800 shillings per child, which this time came out to over 12,000 shillings, the equivalent of $142 US dollars.

About cfleisch10


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.