Existing Member?

The Road Less Traveled By Serving to systematically document my travels on my journey to self-disovery. In reality, thoughts, musing, and experiences as I attempt to travel to as many worldly destinations as possible.

Normandy

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 17 April 2014 | Views [300]

Our last Encountering London field trip: Normandy. While it was an entire weekend, it was worth it to be able to experience the north of France. Plus, I would have done just about anything to get to see the Bayeux Tapestry in person.

We headed out Friday morning. Luggage-laden and sleep deprived, but excited to get on the road, we set out for Portsmouth. Once there, we lunched, then headed over to the historic dock. There we explored a couple of very small museums related to British naval history. What I found most interesting was a panoramic exhibit of General Nelson and the Battle of Trafalgar. It was a perfect way to educate tourists about this major event in British history. I also loved seeing the collection of old figureheads on display, which are actually huge sculptures when separated from the immensity of the ships which they decorate.

We were then able to board the HMS Victory for our guided tour. This spectacular ship, original but restored, was the ship from which Admiral Nelson directed and fought at the Battle of Trafalgar, and upon which he was killed. We were taken through all decks, including Admiral Nelson’s state cabin, the barracks for the common soldiers, the hold, and the spot commemorating the exact spot when General Nelson was shot. The worst, though, was viewing both the disciplinary and surgeons’ instruments; they were both equally as gruesome. As much as I love the ocean, I don’t know if I would have been able to deal with the lice and surgical procedures. Scurvy doesn’t sound particularly pleasant either.

Tags: normandy; d-day; wwi; wwii; beaches; ships

About cfleisch10


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.