Existing Member?

The Road Less Traveled By Serving to systematically document my travels on my journey to self-disovery. In reality, thoughts, musing, and experiences as I attempt to travel to as many worldly destinations as possible.

Shoreditch, Marylebone, and Abbey Road

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 12 March 2014 | Views [396]

Over the weekend we entertained a lot of visitors: SLU students from the Vienna program, Madrid, Rome, and even from Canton! In celebration of this, as well as the fact that we were all reunited, we went on the Shoreditch pub crawl. It was… interesting, to say the least we went to some clubs that I would definitely not have appeared in of my own accord. It was great to hang out with everyone again though, and, in spite of it being somewhat weird, everyone seemed to have a decent time. Getting back, on the other hand, was absolute hell. The tube stops running at 12:30, and so after that the only way to get around is via the night buses, most of which come, and the most, once every half an hour. Shoreditch, unfortunately, was upwards of an hour and a half bus ride from home, and boy did we feel every minute of it. I had spent the entire day at Portobello Market, sifting through old books and antique jewelry, so, needless to say, I was exhausted. Thank goodness that I always ride the bus with other people because  the combination of the hour, the alcohol, and my penchant for sleeping in vehicles would keep me from ever getting home.

Marylebone is an area near to Gower St., and is actually where the Wallace Gallery can be found. Despite of its proximity, Monday was the first time that I had ever been in the area. As such, I decided to explore the area in preparation for my second walking tour paper. Wandering, I came across Regent’s Park. As it was one of the first warm, sunny, spring days that we have seen in London as of yet, it was mind-boggling to me how many people were outside enjoying the weather. The park was positively packed. From picnics, to fishing, to football, Londoners were out in full force, engaging in leisure activities in such a magnitude that I never imagined, even in the city. It was glorious to be out and about with the Londoners, being right there with them enjoying the feel of the sun on my skin.

One of the main attractions in the area is the Sherlock Holmes Museum, located on 221B Baker St. (although it is technically situated between numbers 237 and 241). Although I am embarrassingly unfamiliar with the stories, I was nevertheless intrigued by the museum. Also, Becca’s 21st birthday is coming up… (I see you girl!). As the museum was expensive and was only open for another two hours or so, I decided against going in on this particular occasion. I would, nevertheless, very much like to go back and experience the museum portion.

And finally, I came to the pinnacle of the walking tour: Abbey Road. I was somewhat taken aback by how ordinary it seemed – it could have been any street in London. But then, I guess that was the point. Being a Sunday, I was also surprised by how few people were clustered around the iconic walkway and the front of the studio. Not complaining – I was able to loiter for as long as I saw fit. The wall by the studio gate was covered in graffiti, which normally I do not like or condone. This, though, was full of love: Beatles lyrics galore and initials in hearts. As I walked down the wall, humming the various songs, I could not think of a more fitting tribute for the legendary band.

Tags: abbey road; shoreditch; sherlock; marylebone; reg

About cfleisch10


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.