Existing Member?

The Road Less Traveled By Serving to systematically document my travels on my journey to self-disovery. In reality, thoughts, musing, and experiences as I attempt to travel to as many worldly destinations as possible.

Popping Bottles at the Henge!

UNITED KINGDOM | Sunday, 16 February 2014 | Views [372]

I wish. But really, how many other people can say that they got to go to Stonehenge for their 21st birthday? The day itself was perfect: sunny. That's about all that you can ask for in the UK this time of year. Stonehenge itself was incredible. Although you cannot get as close as you could even last fall, it was still awe-inspiring to be viewing something so old. Talking to the guards, they get a lot of crazies trying to rush the henge. The best story was one in which a couple was caught copulating in the middle of the stone circles underneath the full moon. Apparently they thought that it would make the conception "mystical" and powerful. The poor guard! The new visitors centre, while still under construction, the small exhibit was very informative. The reconstruction of the henge through time was definitely eye-opening, as it used to be signifcantly bigger than what remains.

From there, we drove to the town of Lacock. Hands down, the most adorable town I have ever been in. It is very medieval, and so everything is miniaturized and made of stone - doorways, houses, etc. It was also very quiet and sleepy, and English country town. It is also Godric's Hollow in the Harry Potter movies, and we got to see Lily and James Potter's house, which someone actually lives in, the Hogwarts courtyard, and Snape's classroom. The main attraction is Lacock Abbey, which was dissolved by Henry VIII, purchased, and transformed into a manor house. However, due to this the Abbey is still very much intact. I will never get enough of old religious buildings - they are just so incredibly beautiful and stoic.

After our long day away from London, I figured everyone would be too exhausted to do anything. Wrong. Carolyn and I pulled ourselves together, heels and all, and met everyone down at O'Neill's. There was a great cover band playing called the Evil Puppies, which played The Killers, Flogging Molly, Kings of Leon. It was a birthday of epic proportions with almost our entire London crew. We won't get graphic, but revelry was had by all. It was definitely a birthday for the books!

About cfleisch10


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.