Existing Member?

The Road Less Traveled By Serving to systematically document my travels on my journey to self-disovery. In reality, thoughts, musing, and experiences as I attempt to travel to as many worldly destinations as possible.

From Plays to Debates...

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 23 January 2014 | Views [393]

St. Lawrence pays for it all! The best part about this program is that doing fun things in London are considered "classes." So instead of sitting in a classroom, this week I got to go to a play in the West End. Entitled Mojo, it was one of Jez Butterworth's earlier works, i.e. before the success of Jerusalem. The cast was incredible: Brendan Coyle, Rupert Grint, Colin Morgan, Daniel Mays, and Ben Whishaw all headlined. Keep in mind, that's Mr. Bates from Downton Abbey, Ron Weasley, Merlin, and Richard II. Some pretty heavy stuff.

We were warned that we might not get the play, but I loved it. The acting was some of the best stage work I have ever seen. And while the premised - rock and roll and gangsters in Soho in the 1950s - was rather dark, it was still very humorous. Daniel Mays, the only actor whom I had never heard of before, completely stole the show with his one-liners and expressions. I'll be sure to look up some of the countless movies he's in!

Tonight, I was also able to go to a fancy-shmancy debate. Although for the Econ and Politics classes, there were extra tickets, one of which I clearly claimed as my own. I wasn't really sure what to expect as, aside from the presidential and vice-presidential debates during elections season - essentially prestigious politicians whining, pointing fingers at one another, and calling each other names - debates are not really a social event in the United States. Clearly not the case here, however. The theatre was completely packed. The themes was whether or not living today is the best we've ever had it. Not my first choice of debate topic, especially when a pissing match is coming up between a couple academics over who was the better author, Jane Austen or Emily Bronte, but it was definitely interesting. For the most part, the orators were fantastic. One even made a point that he didn't even have any notes with him, a comment that became more impressive as he continued to speak throughout the evening. It was definitely an experience, but not one that I would have ever thought to attend without my free 30 pound ticket!

Off to Amsterdam tomorrow...

 

About cfleisch10


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.