Existing Member?

The Road Less Traveled By Serving to systematically document my travels on my journey to self-disovery. In reality, thoughts, musing, and experiences as I attempt to travel to as many worldly destinations as possible.

Day 59: Saying Goodbye

KENYA | Wednesday, 24 April 2013 | Views [315]

I returned home from the orphanage at around 7:30 in the morning because Kelsey and I decided to take Grace out to breakfast as a thank you. The three of us went to Java, and we treated Grace. She is so sad that we are both leaving. The 2 other volunteers both leave on Saturday as well, so the house will be very empty.

Since it was my last day in Rongai, I had to say goodbye to the kids at both the Light School and the special needs school. Kels and I had to cab, as we had so many donations for both schools. First, we went to the special needs school. We made up goodie bags for all of the kids able to participate in school, consisting of a notebook, pencils, and candy. We just gave out candy to all of the rest of the kids. They were so thrilled – they always are to receive anything, it’s so heartwarming. We took a big group picture with all of the kids and the 4 volunteers, which turned out so well. I almost started crying saying goodbye to the kids. It was tough because I know how precarious these children’s situations are, as they are unable to care for themselves and are dependent on the support of Henry and the school. Kenya seems to be getting more and more progressive in terms of caring for those with disabilities, so that is so good to see and gives me hope for their futures. Kelsey also used her donation money to get each child a new pair of clothes. It was adorable seeing all of them in their new overalls! Vincent, the son of one of the house mothers, was given a pair with an American flag on it. He happened to be wearing a red and white striped shirt and huge red socks as well, so he looked priceless! I also specifically gave him a sticker book of frogs and toads; he’s not in school, so Kelsey and I really tried to work with him on his basic primary-school level skills. He loved it!

After the special needs school we went to the Light School. Since school is out for April break, lasting the entire month, none of the day scholars were there. Many of the kids who have family also go home over break, so there were only about the 50 permanent boarders there. It started to pour as soon as we got there, so we all congregated in the dining room. Kelsey and I gave each student 2 notebooks, 2 pencils, stickers, and a ton of candy. The Kids were so adorable – most of them are so thankful to be given everything. We got so many hugs and loving words from the kids, it killed me to leave. However, we made some of the older kids e-mail addresses and Facebook accounts, as well as money to access cyber cafés, so hopefully we will be able to keep in contact. I’ll have to think of what I can do for them back home, because I just want to keep helping them and see all of them move forward. It’s heartbreaking, because I know first-hand that the education that they are receiving is sub-par, and it will definitely impact their futures. One of the toughest things about my placement in Rongai has been the fact that Charles, the man who “runs” the orphanage is so lackadaisical and refuses to find any other source of income besides volunteers. I would have loved to organize a scholarship fund for the Class 8’s, but I refused to leave Charles with any money. I can only hope that they can all take it upon themselves to keep working hard and pass their exams.

From the Light School, we had to say goodbye to Grace, Kelly, and Selena. We were sort of rushed, as our cab driver, Andrew, showed up early. I prefer goodbyes like that, though: less time to be sad. We got a few pictures and were off to Nairobi. Kelsey got her flight tonight, and mine will be tomorrow. I am both sad to be leaving, but excited to be home: being here on my own has definitely made me appreciate my family and the life that I have the opportunity to live in the United States.

About cfleisch10


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.