Existing Member?

La vie est dur sans confiture!

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [94] | Scholarship Entry

Gourmand: lover of food. As a child I sat nose pressed to the screen gazing at Beauty and the Beast. Napkins pirouetted, dishes danced, and through salt confetti, the message came: ‘We can sing! We can dance! After all miss, this is France! And a dinner here is never second best.’ After two summers in France, I must concur- the first time I have been in the position of agreeing with an animated candlestick. We gourmands are drawn to France. Petit dejeuner- I rise as the grey dawn lights the streets and slip along unnoticed, a seamless part of the morning routine. The quotidian ritual, greetings exchanged, and the tantalising smell of baking. Baguettes arrive at breakfast missing a piece, soft white inside exposed. We eat with our fingers, tear hunks off to dip in tea. Inhaling the sweet richness of the patisserie counter I gaze upon warm spirals of golden pastry, glazed, glistening... Caught in the agony of choice I imagine pain au raisin’s sticky moistness, the flaking buttery layers of the ubiquitous croissant. Even the names fill my mouth with anticipation and my stomach grumbles. Patisserie is a skilled art requiring lengthy training. Savouring a chocolatine I understand. As breakfasts go, this beats cornflakes. Dejeuner- While we Brits see lunch as a quick refuel, the French are more relaxed. Despite the recession lengthy lunch breaks are common. Enjoying good food in good company is not to be rushed. Meal and merriment are complemented by wine- of course. Diner- This is preceded by aperitifs and amuse-bouches- opening the appetite, amusing the mouth. Each region has its own specialities. While France embraces food from a multitude of world cultures the dining experience remains quintessentially French. As I travel I collect recipes. French friends are enthusiastic in teaching me to cook, if a little dismayed at British food (On chip rolls: You eat bread and potato together? Somewhat defensive, I protest.) Gourmand, take your time. Relish. Enjoy. Be our guest!

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About ceris


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.