Existing Member?

Adventurous Escapades

Valentines day

SOUTH AFRICA | Tuesday, 14 February 2012 | Views [221]

It is a week of celebration in my world.  Saturday was my birthday, the big four oh!!  It feels like the end of a very long season and the start of something new.  'How do I feel being 40?' seems to be the most asked question.  Actually, I feel pretty much the same as 39.   No midlife crisis, fortunately.  No rut to pull myself out of.  I jokingly said to my dad that I'm still trying to find a rut, never mind get out of one.  After being back in South Africa for a little over 6 months, I am still watching every tick of the clock counting down the days when my tenants will move and I can finally move back into my flat.  Its been a rather nomadic journey over the last 5 years and certainly an adventure. 


Today is a birthday of a different kind.  I met Jesus 20 years ago at a Carmen concert in the Good Hope center in Cape Town.  I have now officially been saved more than half my life on Earth.  Three days longer, to be precise :-)  He has loved me, healed me, filled me, protected me and walked with me every step.  Today is valentines day. How sweet it is to be saved on such a day.

Even as my heart sings in celebration, there is a twinge deep down.  The unsaid words from the single women around me fill the atmosphere.  Some are not quite so silent but rather hide their heart's longing in a cloak of criticism.  Its all commercialism! they declare, trying to lessen the weight of the day.  The young and the marrieds do not know the sting a day such as today can have.  It is lunch time.  For yet another year is it being made obvious that no man is interested enough to pursue my heart.  I suppose I share this to lessen the sting in my own heart.  I'm not sure its working :-)

In my hands I hold the promises spoken by my Father in Heaven, promises too many to count, that I will see this particular longing fulfilled, a promise as recent as three weeks ago.  Will I believe Him?  After decades of disappointment, will I still believe Him?  I feel Him asking me that question.  He is not a man that He should like or the son of man that he should change his mind.  Will I believe Him?  Will He bring to completion what He has started?  Do I trust Him?  Do I believe Him when everything screams the opposite?

What about your dreams?  The ones you've held for so long they've become entwined with who you are. The ones that seem impossible without miraculous intervention.  Will you believe him?  Will you trust him?

 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.