Existing Member?

Down the rabbit hole

The nameless pizza place

UNITED KINGDOM | Sunday, 24 May 2015 | Views [182] | Scholarship Entry

I am pretty sure that everyone who has ever visited London will have stories to tell, stories that range from slightly entertaining to wonderfully odd. England’s capital might be the closest thing our planet has to Wonderland. If you are brave enough to go down the rabbit hole apart from the usual tourist traps, you will not get out again anytime soon and you will see things and characters you never believed actually exist. It is ridiculously easy to get lost in its flamboyance.

One beautiful characteristic of this city is that it is a pivot for travelers and its inhabitants and many vagabonds just co-exist in perfect harmony. Birds of a feather flock together they say, maybe that is why Earth’s version of Wonderland is overrun by peculiar characters from virtually all over the globe.

A few years back, on a surprisingly sunny trip I and my friends somehow found ourselves in a bar in East London, appropriately called “Question mark bar”, after we got lost in the rabbit hole. I am not quite sure how it happened but we started talking to the human epitome of the Mad Hatter called Carl.

Carl was wearing a dark red shirt, cargo pants and a really impressive Afro. His charming persona was captivating and talking to him was so easy because he had something to say about anything: Politics, Arnold Schwarzenegger, raving, travelling and even the right way to clean your bum after you go number 2. After a few hours of chatting and watching him hitting on every girl in the bar he invited us for a ride in his car. Adventurous as we were we agreed in a heartbeat. A five minute walk later we were lead to his car. This happened to be an old ambulance. And also his bedroom.

In his make shift motor home we were taken on a short ride through arguably London’s most up and coming eastern parts and ended up In a pizza place with no sign or name on its front door. The whole restaurant was basically just a dining room consisting of two largish, wooden tables in parallel and the kitchen in the back. The kitchen was only separated by some linen and the whole somewhat antique looking interior was painted in all white. What we got served there was the a pizza with a tremendous amount of rich and tasty flavors that took you on a culinary journey straight to the heart of Italy.

This whole experience is what makes a trip to London always worth wile. Everything you can dream of and more, you will find here. And this is just the tip of the iceberg when you go down the rabbit hole.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About celschen


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.