Existing Member?

Celind Tours

Angkor

CAMBODIA | Tuesday, 1 November 2005 | Views [192]

What do you do when you’re bored with Thailand? Take a little detour to Cambodia. The journey itself back and forth is all but relaxing, but in a way prepares you for what to expect in terms of comfort and standard of facilities and infrastructure in the country. Angkor Wat is allegedly the largest religious spot in the world with its palaces and temples. The tourist is offered to explore it for one, two, or three days. Having only one day to spend, the option is rather easy for me. A guy from the hotel offers to be my designated driver for the day, and I accept. He takes me on his motorbike, stops at all the important and interesting spots and buildings, and waits patiently in the shade at the exit of each sight. I’m feeling a bit guilty for not knowing about this site and civilization that obviously has played a rather important part in the history of this part of the Asia. I also learn the lesson to do at least a little bit of research before visiting a place like this. Having known a little bit of this culture and history, I would know what it was I was looking at. Well, not much to do. It is still very interesting and impressive. The buildings are well preserved, considering the fact that tourists are allowed to walk and climb and tramp on every stone of every building. The biggest temple looks like something built of LEGO. How many LEGO pieces would it take to build something like this? Probably a gazillion. After a day of climbing and walking and riding on the back of a motorcycle, I’m quite satisfied, and glad to have seen this place. My chauffeur offers to take me to see the sunset. I decline, being quite tired, and having seen sunsets before. Two guys from New Zealand chose the option of renting bikes and doing the more slow and relaxed three day thing. I wonder how you could possibly stretch this to three days, but as opposed to me, maybe they did their homework…

Tags: Sightseeing

About celind73


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.