Existing Member?

cefaz

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - My Big Adventure

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 28 March 2011 | Views [293] | Scholarship Entry

Baja road trip

600 miles down the border I find myself sitting in the sand, halfway across the desert and the sea just waiting for the day to pass by. A striking contrast of mere simplicity. More than just crystal clear waters and a beach, Bahía Concepción takes you back to where life begins and ends.
In this spot lost in the southern part of the Baja peninsula lies the very struggle of life to resist the pass of time and of the elements of nature. From the local Cumiai to the ever passing distant traveler, they wait and contemplate.
With constant contrast between the desert, the mountains and the sea, driving through Baja California takes you in a journey in time, where humans have always struggled to cut through the challenges that nature poses on them, from the very first settlers to the Jesuit missionaries of the XVII century, all the way to the contemporary locals.
Most of them located in Baja Sur, the missions are the center of towns that bare their names, as well as most of the local folklore. We arrived at San Ignacio at the time the festivity dedicated to that saint. The people were offering all kinds of traditional Mexican food with an emphasis on the local seafood of the region.

Mulege, the town just before Bahía, is a lovely town and one of the first missions of the region. Even if it is far from being as turisty as Cabo San Lucas, it is one of the most visited places of the state, thanks to its both natural and created beauty.

The dream of many and the end of many others, Baja is still an enchanting challenge to your instincts. All of its 1000 miles a way always say something, from the never-ending desert to some of the most beautiful beaches in Mexico, passing through towns in the middle of anywhere reminding the traveler that the mission is still out there to be carried. It takes only a car and the will to enjoy the absence and the need of time.

Tags: #2011writing, travel writing scholarship 2011

About cefaz


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.