Existing Member?

Get lost and wonder

Mother Nature

MALAYSIA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [89] | Scholarship Entry

"An island along the Malaysia Peninsular, known for it's rich marine life, beautiful beaches and BBQ seafood." That’s about all I know when I took the spontaneous solo trip to the island, Pulau Tioman. Upon arrival in Salang, I found out that there’s more to diving on this small, quaint and laid-back island – an hour trek across the rainforest to the other parts of the island. I did not care that I was running solo in the seemingly impenetrable forest, my mind was set to get to Air Bintang.
No iPod was needed. Mother Nature had presented her symphony of tropical animals. The vastness of air filled with cricket noises, birds chirping and occasional rustle of the leaves felt exhilarating yet terrifying.
It was a physically challenging hike. 80% of the hike was going up and downhill on eroded soil. There were no visible tracks left by previous hikers. The only guide was the black rope that marked out the trail.
After 30 minutes into the trail, I had finally caught a glimpse of paradise from high above. Crystal clear waters; shining white sand; restaurants and chalets built on stilts above waters. I was then convinced that this trail was truly doable.
Until -
Just 10 minutes away from paradise came -- roadblock. Right in front of me was the path blocked by huge rocks, piles of never-ending trunks that extended beyond sight. Looking around, I saw a clear path beside but there was no sight of the black rope anywhere along that path. The adventurous side of me wanted to give it a go, but the conservative (also lazy, hungry) side of me said, “Not a good idea to go on, mate”.
From the corner of my eye, I caught sight of a giant monitor lizard slowly, subtly making its way across the alternative path. Decision made. As much as I was really looking forward to frolicking in the cool waters after a long, tiring hike, the thought and possibility of being attacked by unknown more tropical rainforest animals, without any first aid kit or anyone around me to save me superseded every single adventurous bone in my body.
On my way back, I crossed path with a solo lady traveller. I warned her about the roadblock but she went ahead with it anyway. Few days later, I met the same lady at the jetty. I asked if she managed to complete the trail. She said, “No, I didn’t. When I was heading back, I actually saw a snake in front of me so I literally stood there frozen for a while, hoping for the snake to just slither past and not attack me.”
Good thinking, lazy bones.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About ceciheehee


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.