Existing Member?

Barb's Travel Adventures

Email # 4 - Probably Last Update from Morocco

MOROCCO | Tuesday, 30 November 1999 | Views [263]

Hi all

This is probably my last email. Mostly so much has happenned, my head is so full, interactions with people, etc that it would take hours to write. Seems that the consistent recommendation is to take the midnight bus from Essaouira to Casablanca arriving at 6:00 am. This bus goes straight there will no stops and your stuff is locked underneath so you don't have to watching it all the time. I checked it out yesterday and found I have to buy the ticket in the morning and then go to the bus station at 11pm or so. Means a killer day the last day in Casablanca and I will probably have to pay for an extra day at the hotel in Essaouira even though I don't stay all night - no such thing as day rooms here. Met a nice English couple 2 days ago who are staying at the same hotel - they just got engaged that day and I spent time with them and another Cdn who, it turns out, is a doctor from Calgary. Spent one evening with them.He's 31 but looks 23. Kept running into them as Essaouira is a small place so you keep seeing the same people and get to know who is new and the habits of the vendors. I was wearing my turkish shawl today and as it looks similar to a jallaba, I got much fewer hassles. Have had some interesting conversation with a Berber who has the most beautiful eyes(but wise to stay clear of). But will lookup the internet site of a friend of his(after he rented his house for 3 mths) that has a guesthouse in Haida Guai(Queen Charlottes?). Going back to have mint tea with the Berber/Tuareg man - Omar after this. I just met his father - he is better now. Will get Leanne's bell. Go tomorrow to see another who is finding the part to fix my necklace(he's Berber too).
En'shallah.
Love Barb  

footnote, a number of years later, a friend from my weaving guild went on a similar trip but mote hiking. Their tour ended in Essaouira and by accident, she found Omar's new shop. He remembered me! I was delighted to hear he was married and had a baby. Such a nice update.  

About cdntraveller


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Morocco

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.