Existing Member?

Get lost

Highlights of Nepal

NEPAL | Tuesday, 6 October 2009 | Views [617]

1.       Chinese Nepal’s border –Nepal is completely different from China, different faces, different town different immigration building, different army uniform, etc. China is far more advance than Nepal, reminds me of crossing Laos to China. But it was great feeling again to see green.

“Horn Please” – These words written at the back of almost very trucks and buses. Nepalese’s drivers are even crazier than any driver I ever seen. Horn is just so annoying and you won’t have any moment of silent. Btw, they do horn at human if you blocked their way but not the animals. Animals have a good life in Nepal.

2.       Kathmandu – How to spend money in Kathmandu? After weeks of extreme travelling, altitude things, basic food - Kathmandu has been a great place; food was amazing, pubs everywhere. Great food but expensive and beer was triple the price in China. Kathmandu was pretty much a resting stop for me - the most expensive town so far with spending on average 2500 rupees per day.

Been to holy temple, seen the body burning site and it was quite confronting to see burned body shape, white skull.

Also been to Tibetan’s monastery and seen Tibetan’s monks praying with music instruments. This is something you won’t be able to see in Tibet - definitely worth it.

India Visa in Kathmandu – It has been the worst and slowest way of applying visa. It is all about waiting and you need to visit the embassy 3 times to get your visa done.  For first time, I had an argument with a traveler over the queue. He maybe was waiting in café since early morning but he wasn’t queue up in line. I came later and stay in line at first but he wasn’t happy.

Kathmandu to Chitwan National Park – Sigh, not another road block! According to local, they blocked the road to protest as local police refused to take the local murder case. There was no system in Nepal. It was frustrating.

3.       Chitwan National Park – Paid USD 120 for 3 days 2 nights tour, get to ride on elephant, see the rhinos, and see the elephant bathing. Nah… it wasn’t worth the money we paid. Hey, you get to stay in jungle – strange, Malaysia has more and better tropical jungle but I haven’t been to Taman Negara (my next target). Out from Kathmandu, weather was hot, got the diarrhea the first night, unpleasant, rush to toilet middle of night.

4.       Lumbini – A great night stop from Chitwan National Park before border crossing. It was birth place of buddha, with every country’s Buddhist temples built alongside the lake. Skipped the temples as they are newly built so not so interested. It wasn’t worth a stop at all. Town was often power cut, we were having dinner with candle light, hmm… and full of mosquitoes.

End of Nepal – Nepal has a lot more to offer such as Annapula trek has been the best according to lonely planet. There are rafting, bungee jumping, paragliding, mountain trekking, Everest base camp, and more. I would be back. 

Tags: body burning, holy, kathmandu, nepal

About ccwrichard


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.