Existing Member?

Most Awesomest Travel Blog Ever! The Adventures of CazzMatt! This The Most AWSEOMEST Travel Blog Ever! We won a $10,000 trip all over Australia. Make sure to subscribe and watch our funny travel videos along with the video that got us here. www. youtube.com/CazzMatt

Day 4: Coral Bay - A Hook in the Arm is Worth Two in a Fish

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 11 June 2010 | Views [86]

Day 4, as advertised in our Western Xposure guide, was our day to explore the wonders of Ningaloo Reef and its fantastic marine life in Coral Bay. We could go snorkeling, cruise the reef on a glass bottom boat, take a quad bike tour or even a flight over the reef. Somehow, Matt only ended up with a fishing hook stuck in his arm. But more on that later.

 

A few girls opted for the Manta Ray tour where you have the opportunity to Snorkel with giant Manta Rays, which they all raved about and insisted was well worth the $200. We saw some video they took, and watching those huge creatures doing backflips underwater was very impressive. However, this day we decided we wanted to hang on to our cash. We had the chance to swim with Manta Rays at night in Hawaii for FREE by sneaking through a hotel and past their Manta-themed restaurant and jumping into the dark ocean with rays swooping by us. But we digress, back to Coral Bay!

 

The girls who didn’t choose to swim with rays took the quad bike tour which cost somewhere between $85-$100. And some poor soul had to share a quad bike with “Just Look Into my Face” girl. (If you’re unsure of whom we’re speaking about, read our “Day 2 – Kalbarri” Blog)

 

Lucky for us, our tour guide, Ben, was going fishing and invited us to come along which turned out to be a whole day of fun and did we mention FREE! Let us start by saying that neither of us are fishermen, nor fisherpeople, for that matter. Despite this, Matt somehow managed to catch the biggest Spanish Mackerel EVER! Basking in his own glory, Matt cast his very next line, which flung right back around a vengeance and landed the hook digging into his forearm. Barbs and all. Luckily our hero/tour guide Ben was there to cut and pull it back out. Catching a big fish is an awesome feeling, but nothing will humble you faster than hooking yourself in the arm with your own fishing lure. That was the first real fish Matt has ever caught. It was also the only fish any of us caught that day. He swears that bruise on his ego hurt much more than the hook in his forearm.

 

Upon returning we were given a hero’s welcome for catching the fish. Matt was showered with appreciation. He exclaimed, “Don’t worry ladies”, as he stood atop a picnic table, “I shall provide for the tribe!” Just then a ray of light beamed down upon him from the heavens above. I think he was even holding the Ten Commandments, too. Okay, that’s not completely true, but we did eat the fish for dinner. Everyone really enjoyed it, and we learned that the cheek meat of the fish’s face is really tasty.

 

While not partaking in any of the awesome tours in Coral Bay offering close encounters with sea giants or the chance to kick up some sand on a quad bike, this became one of our most memorable days of the trip, and it didn’t cost a dime. Just a hole in the arm…

Tags: bay, cazz, cazzmatt, coral, fish, fishing, manta, matt, quad, ray

 

About cazzmatt


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.