Existing Member?

Most Awesomest Travel Blog Ever! The Adventures of CazzMatt! This The Most AWSEOMEST Travel Blog Ever! We won a $10,000 trip all over Australia. Make sure to subscribe and watch our funny travel videos along with the video that got us here. www. youtube.com/CazzMatt

Perth: Surprisingly Hardcore

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 8 June 2010 | Views [111]

We left Sydney on the 6th of June to head to Perth. We were really looking forward to Perth after hearing all the great things people said about it, “Oh it’s such a pretty and clean city”. But we were more taken back by all the sex shops, strip clubs (A few were hiring), and face tattoos. Surprisingly there were a lot of tattooed faces (including a couple that were pushing babies in strollers), which equals hardcore, and somehow people left this out when describing the city. Perth is the biggest city in Western Australia, but it’s tiny compared to Sydney. There’s a huge Asian influence here that can be felt through the Asian-style restaurants and massage parlors (Insert happy ending joke here). James St. has loads of hostels, restaurants, bars, cafes, and an unusually large jumbo-tron. The giant TV over looks a grassy lawn and café were people sit out and well, watch TV... in a sort of creepy utopian society kind of way. There are also permanent stools on the sidewalk and at night, they glow, which makes for a cool sight. Across the street is a bright blue restaurant, Valentino’s, separated from the park by a massive modern art piece, a squiggly black and white arch. We ate breakfast at Valentino’s, we read it has the best breakfast, and it was good. Also along James St is the Old Shanghai food court, which has some of the cheapest eats in Perth, but it’s Perth, so it’s not that cheap. They have an awesome dim sum place in the back. The highlight of our time in Perth wasn’t in Perth at all. A two-hour ferry ride from Perth is Rottnest Island. We spent the day cruising the island on bikes (there are no public cars allowed on the island). It was a nice day to ride around and see the island’s pretty beaches. There’s also supposed to be some great snorkeling sites there as well, but as we were there at the beginning of winter, it was just too cold to hop in. For this reason, we’d recommend going in the warmer months. We also encountered Rottnest’s famous Quokkas. The smallest animal in the Kangaroo family, which looks very much like a cross between a kanga and a rat. As you can read in any guide book, the Dutch explorer who first discovered Rottnest island, thought the quokkas were in fact rats, and named it “Rottnest” (which is apparently Dutch for “Rat’s Nest”). How charming. They are mostly nocturnal, so we didn’t see any at all, until the end of the day, when they seemed to be everywhere. Lots of people feed them, so they come right up to you begging for food. But resist the temptation to feed their furry little faces, even simple things are bad for their health, and they are an endangered species. We had a great time in Perth tattoo watching, eating good food and making new Quokka friends on Rott-Awesome Island.

 

About cazzmatt


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.