Existing Member?

Adventurer in Action

Motiveless Weirdness

PORTUGAL | Saturday, 10 May 2014 | Views [262] | Scholarship Entry

I was about to cry and burst out laughing. The situation extended my expectations and I had no clue how to react. A guy was dancing provocatively 30cm away from me, looking into my eyes. He was even rhythmically clapping his butt at times. I was so surprised that I was just watching him dance, around midnight, in Lisbon: homeless, mobileless, almost moneyless, and lighterless,which was the thing that bothered him.

We were on a bench where we ended up after a series of misfortunes. We unsuccessfully tried to hitchhike from Seville the previous day, and were threatened by the police that if they saw us once again on the highway, we would be executed–or at least I think that's what they said. Finally some guy, driving his son and his friends for2€ each (the kids had to pay, and his son was no exception), gave us a lift to Huelva, where we spent 4h at a bus station.After these adventures, stunning Lisbon was meant to be a relaxing place.But as we arrived late our couchsurfing host couldn't help us anymore, breaking the news at 11pm.
While walking around and trying to find a solution, we were followed by some persistent drug dealers. Peter, instead of turning them down, felt sorry for them and said: “nah, man, not this time, maybe later”,which of course made them keep on asking: “when is later? Is it “later” already?”. Finally we sat down in a bar to make them go away. We had been sipping a SuperBock for over an hour to make it last longer (please, remember, we had almost no money). It was the peak time for people to go for a drink so the waiter hinted it was time for us to go.We still hadn't solved our problem and things were getting pretty desperate.We figured out that the wifi signal reached a bench only 5m away, so we sat there and continued to carefully steal the bar's Internet.
I had just spent the last percent of my battery, without finding a hostel.We were sighing from time to time, on Praca da Figueira, with its magnificent pattern of black and white paving stones.Then this guy appeared, changing the situation from absurdly terrible to terribly absurd. Having assumed he was yet another drug dealer, I cried:“NO!”before he could open his mouth. It turns out he only wanted a lighter, but we didn't have one anyway.

He stood there for 5 seconds and started to dance. It wasn't awkward at all - he was a really good mover. His moves were very sexual, almost burlesque in style. He finished, we clapped, and he walked away. I enjoyed the show.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About catitook


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Portugal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.