Existing Member?

India Sept 2006

Day 3

INDIA | Monday, 9 October 2006 | Views [518]

Woke at 8:30 ant free and made our way to a guru named Ramesh. Went to take a taxi up the road (lazy gets) but the guy wanted 100rs and the bright sparks we are now realised we were being ripped off and in unison sighed a big 'no' and off we trotted to Ramesh.

We satsonged for two hours then they chanted and some people invited us to tea but we weren't drawn to anyone and chose each other's company instead and headed for a coffee and some food to take our malarone (Cathy's hair is still dark!).

Compairing notes was interesting and our feelings were mutual. For sure we were in the presence of a holy man but he was definately holding back and the crowd who sat with him were not dissimilar to groupies. Still, i was drawn to return, while Cathy (my guru) had experienced enough. Ramesh's teachings focused on duality, ego and the source. what was lovely too was that he was on the fourth floor and two eagles hovered over his head the whole time - majestic!

Lunch then in Thelivi Shoba with another enlightened soul...Aine. We visited the Mahalaxmi Temple - our first temple which was a stones throw from Kemps Corner where we were staying. People are so devoted and just a couple of weeks ago people travelled from all over India (literally thousands, don't know how they fit on these narrow streets) to honour Laxmi (goddess of wealth), Soramswati (goddess of wisdom) and Kali (goddess of can't remember). They were incredibly colourful and their faces gold, real yellow gold. We gave our precious sandles to a woman who minded them for 10rs. Well, for all the years i've minded my feet, moving from apartment to apartment and not touching the floor for fear of who went before me (one i even covered every floor space with you know those rag rugs?), you should see what we walked in and on but it was all about letting go and it felt good - eventually!

On then to to Haji Ali. Which is a Muslim burial site for Haji Ali. From a distance it is a very splendid and impressive structure with a winding jetty sprinkled with devoties all moving in quiet meditation to pray and pay homage to this great man. Our journey towards it presented much colour and flair from the stalls and sellers but once we past them the disney picture turned into a Tarantino movie. We slowly moved past men and women begging for food and leppers sitting down because their limps were rotten and they couldn't stand, polio victims using branches of trees to support their weight, blind men moving at a snails pace, men and women offering to weigh you for a few rupies and children the size and weight of starlings looking up and making contact with your very soul. It was an absolutely horrendous walk towards this great man's tomb.

Once inside there was a very settling air, these people were so pensive. We moved like ghosts who were seen momentarily then gone. a very different experience from the Hindu Temple. And holy moly we had to put back on our sandles and take that road back to Damascus.

have to leave you now folks...it's 10:08 and we're catching another overnight bus. it's not so easy to get an internet cafe and not all the computers are working and there's so much to do we can't be hanging around but fear not we will return.

Hope everyone is well! talk soon!

oh yes we've got a new section. it's called Cathy's Log and it a what to watch out for when in India.

Over and out!

xx Dee&Cathy

Tags: Adventures

About cathydee1


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.