Existing Member?

campbellscookingculturechaos

How the chaos began (travel version)

UGANDA | Monday, 12 May 2014 | Views [387]

Some may say I am a well-travelled 19 year old, others (including myself) would say there is still a lot of the world for me to see, and a lot more for me to learn.

When I was younger my parents provided me with the opportunities to go to:

  1.  The canary islands
  2. Florida
  3. Portugal
  4. LA
  5. San Francisco
  6. San Diego
  7. New York
  8. Vermont
  9. France

These trips all seemed to go without a hitch (well any serious ones anyway) ... who knew my parents were actually so organised.

And somehow, as I got older, I managed to navigate myself to, from and around:

  1. Uganda
  2. Germany
  3. Spain
  4. France
  5. The Netherlands
  6. Switzerland

Now it would be safe to say, that navigating myself around these places didn't quite go as smoothly as the family trips I remember... if I’m honest, didn’t go smoothly at all.  Somehow I would always manage to get me and whoever I was traveling with in some kind of sticky situation; whether it be booking a trip to a town in Germany, just in time for an organized riot, missing a train to Amsterdam from Germany and so consequently going on a detour to France (and even then managing to get on the wrong train to France and end up heading back to the middle of Germany before finally arriving in Strasbourg) or hiding in a hedge in Uganda, naked, from an armed security guard after skinny dipping in the hotel pool...Somehow I always end up in trouble.

And as with my kitchen endeavours, what people loved to hear about most from my travels, was the times where things wouldn’t go to plan. The near misses. The times where Campbell's adventures were indeed chaos.

Tags: chaos, funny, road-trip, train, travel, uganda, volunteer

About cathrynsc


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Uganda

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.