Existing Member?

Jina Langu ni Catherine Go to the people; live with them, learn from them, love them, start with what they know build with what they have. But of the best leaders, when the job is done, the task accomplished the people will say: "We have done it ourselves." Lao Tzu

Maasai Village

TANZANIA | Friday, 2 July 2010 | Views [671] | Comments [4]

It’s Friday afternoon around 4 PM.  Supposed to get out of school early on Friday’s (hooray!) at 12:30 PM but for some reason we didn’t board the school buses until 1:40 PM, then our bus ran out of gas on the way so that caused a 25 minute delay on the side of the road while the bus driver filled up a random jug of gas to pour into the gas tank through a plastic Coke bottle…then got closer to town, hopped off the school bus before it turned off the main road and the dalla dalla I got on broke down 10 minutes later.  Fantastic.  Luckily another crammed one pulled over and I squeezed on…meeting my friend Clare for dinner in a couple of hours and I don’t feel like going all the way back to my village to go home for 30 minutes before turning around and having another 45 minute commute back for dinner.  Quality internet time a head of me. 

Last Saturday morning I left with about 10 other volunteers at 7 AM for a 4 hour drive in a van with no shocks to visit a Maasai village.  Not sure how many kilometers it was but about half the time we were probably driving about 15 km or less an hour because there wasn’t a real road, only a dirt road through the bush.  The village we visited wasn’t a “tourist” Maasai village, it was the village of one of the guards at one of the big volunteer houses here.  It was apparent when we arrived they were not expecting us nor were they used to seeing white people.  Suny, our host, was so excited during the drive because he hadn’t seen his family in over 4 months. 

We arrived on the outskirts of the village and had to stop into the hut of the village elder for permission to pass.  Jeff, the tallest and oldest male in our group was presented to ask for group permission.  Permission was granted and everyone filed out to sign our names into a dusty, dirty, rarely used visitors journal.  We got back into the van and drove a little further.  Soon, about 8 Maasai men were walking towards our oncoming van down the middle of the road to meet us.  The village consisted of about 5 thatched roof homes with dirt walls.  Approximately 35 people live there, in the middle of absolutely no where with no modern amenities, running water, etc.  To the north we could see the mountain range on the Kenyan border, and Mt. Meru and Kilimanjaro also.  It was really beautiful.  We were welcomed and sat on the ground in a circle and given cups of chai tea to drink (not nearly as delicious as a Chai from Starbucks which I am craving!).  All of the children came up to us and were touching us, grabbing our hands, touching our hair, etc. because some of them had never seen a white person before.  They were frightened of Colin, a redhead with freckles which they thought were a disease.  The children were covered in dirt and dust and there were flies landing all over them and they didn’t even flinch.  Only two people in the group knew any English, luckily our driver and Suny were somewhat able to translate.  The men, women and children all dress the same, many layers of blankets wrapped around their bodies, both sexes have large holes in their ears and the women wear many layers of heavy handmade jewelry.  Shortly thereafter they were singing and dancing and welcoming us and we joined in.  Didn’t know any of the words but dancing consisted of a lot of hopping around which was easy enough to pick up.  After dancing we were invited into a few homes.  The interior consists of two rooms, a room for sleeping and a room with the fire.  They said it takes approximately two weeks to construct a home between gathering the materials through construction.  We had to take pictures to see the interior because it was pitch back inside.  The beds are made of sticks woven together and lay a few inches off the floor with animal skins to lay on.  The male of the family gets the bed and the wife and children sleep on the floor if the bed isn’t big enough. 

We spent more time sitting around with the children who were amazed with our cameras and seeing pictures of themselves.  While we were sitting around the males of our group were summoned to go pick out a goat for dinner.  About 20 minutes later they came back with a cute little goat.  L  The men gathered and brought out a few huge knives.  They seemed to stare at the goat and talk for a while and finally two of the men held down the goat while a third slit its throat.  My knees got weak…Blood was pouring out of the neck and one of the men held a cup to catch the blood.  Their arms and legs were covered in blood splatters.  The men passed the cup of warm blood around to drink!  A couple volunteers tried it but that cup of blood was staying far away from me!  After drinking the blood, they began skinning the poor little goat and took apart the animal.  The men pulled out the kidneys and a few other parts and slurped them down raw.  Yuck.  They really don’t waste any part of the animal.  They cut up huge chunks of meat which they stuck onto sticks and cooked over a fire.  It took about 50 minutes to cook the meat, well done.  When it was finished cooking we were invited to come eat.  We sat on the ground again and they brought over hunks of meat one by one and cut off hunks for us to eat.  Took a few small bites to try to be polite but passed off to the boys in our group every chance I got.  They would also cut off huge pieces of fat and pass them for us to eat, we threw these “scraps” into a bowl.  One guy looked in the bowl, looked back at all of us like we were crazy and just started eating all of our scraps.  They ate almost the entire goat besides some of the intestines and fur, they even roasted the head after popping out the eyeballs. 

After lunch we sat around a bit longer until it was time to leave.  Upon departure we danced again and presented the gifts we brought to the elders to divide among the families.  We brought rice, sugar, flour, chai and some candy for the kids.  We paid 40,000 tsh (about $25.00) for the goat and gave them a “hospitality” donation of about 30,000 tsh.  After a few more pictures we boarded the van for another bumpy, long 4 hour ride home.  Hours of hot sun with barely any shade, flies, goat blood, dirty water…my bucket shower Saturday night was the best bucket shower ever.  

Comments

1

Oh Cath, you are so coming away from this a vegan, aren't you? Sounds like if they kill an animal they use everything, which is really good. Unfortunately, all our tasty burgers and steaks come to us on a beautiful plate in a lovely restaurant - what an experience! I imagine you weigh about 110 lbs - who needs a cleanse now, right? Miss you and love you!

  KATE Jul 7, 2010 10:19 PM

2

Catherine,
I don't know how you do it. I always knew you were a special person. Please take care of yourself. We all miss you, especially Jess. Talk to you soon.

  Dawn Wakefield Jul 8, 2010 7:20 AM

3

My life choice to be a vegetarian has bee confirmed after reading that...You are a much, much stronger person then I am.
Miss you!

  Anne Howaniec Jul 9, 2010 5:43 AM

4

Oh my!! After reading that I may never eat meat again!! I feel like you're on Survivor Africa. I love reading your posts...what an experience. Amongst our many other blessings, you'll even have a new appreciation for paved roads and a reliable vehicle. Take care and I'll be waiting for your next adventure.

  Heather Stafford Jul 12, 2010 12:09 PM

About catherinehickey


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.