Existing Member?

An adventure in the pursuit of happiness and finding content within mind, heart and soul.

From Prada to Nada

WORLDWIDE | Tuesday, 13 May 2014 | Views [315] | Scholarship Entry

Three years ago I was in a 7-year relationship, working in engineering, with a lavish home, foxy car and Prada heels, along with the bills and stress that come with the territory. Today I sit in a hostel in Rio, jobless, carless, sleeping in a dorm, wearing flip-flops and I’ve never been happier. As I take another sip of my Caipirinha, I reminisce on the series of events that led me to this point. How did I end up here?

I was 26 years old, stuck in the rut of everyday, responsible life, feeling suppressed by the “real” world, like a caged bird, gazing through the bars, curious as to what lay beyond. So, I quit my job, sold my car, packed my life into boxes and bought a ticket to Bangkok. Sure, I’d traveled. My one vacation a year to the USA, or my business trips to China and Singapore, sailing the seas on greasy oil tankers. But this time was different. This time I was doing it for ME! And that was the moment that changed my life. Terrified and naïve, I strapped on my backpack, kissed my loved ones goodbye, or rather, “See you later”, and I set off on an adventure of a lifetime.

I have since visited countless temples, waterfalls, islands and caves. I've been diving in Thailand, hiked a volcano in Indonesia, shot an AK47 in Vietnam, watched the sunrise over Angkor Wat in Cambodia, been tubing in Laos, shopped in Malaysia, worked the oil rigs in Angola, treasure-hunted hidden bars in Australia, partied in Vegas, hang-glided over Rio and that’s just the tip of the iceberg. I’ve met the most beautifully diverse individuals from every walk of life. Some of my best memories are with complete strangers. I’ve traveled by train, tuk-tuk, helicopter, ferry, long-tail boat, done dreaded 20-hour bus rides and gone four-up on a scooter… with a surfboard. But the fat lady hasn’t sung! The next few months hold skydiving in Foz do Iguaçu in Brazil, sipping wine in Argentina, exploring the ruins of Machu Picchu in Peru, a rock concert in New York and visiting home in South Africa, before heading back to Asia, where my heart lives. After that, who knows? Eurotrip?

So, go! There's a whole big world waiting to be explored, which, once you start exploring, will realise is not so big after all. Do something crazy, try exotic cuisines, learn an instrument, learn a language, skinny dip at midnight, kiss a stranger, laugh until your tummy hurts, respect, make a bucket list, make a f**k it list, fall in love… And one day you too will look back and think, “How did I end up here?”

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About cassandrathesaffa


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.